1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

good choice for spare / rehearsal head?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lexington125, Feb 14, 2014.

1. lexington125

lexington125

I should be picking up an Aguilar DB112nt for a very good price (I'm going to hold off on the exact price until we can make the deal on Sunday) I'm hoping to use this as the cabinet I leave at a rehearsal space, so i don't have to hump gear to rehearse. But i'm going to need a head that stays w/ this cab. In the old days, I used to grab a used Bassman head for very little money but the days of crazy cheap Fender heads are gone: 50 watt Bassman heads are now hard to find under $500 and the higher power models and Showman heads are usually $700 or more. (same w/ similar Ampeg models). So what is today's equivalent of the $100 silver face Bassman head that used to be everywhere. Have the D class heads made 40lb solid state amps the new low price option? What are the great deals in dependable 50 to 125 watt heads today? (minimum, more power is OK)

Are there any good quality, decent sounding, reliable SS heads that are just totally out of fashion and available for silly prices, as the Fender (ampeg, even Sunn) heads were 20 years ago? I don't expect to ever see those prices on tube heads again, but I can't imagine that workhorse 80s or 90s era amps are in much demand these days - where are the great deals today? (for a rehearsal space head)

2. Fretless55

Fretless55

An older GK400RB is a good reliable workhorse and easily found in the $150 - $200 price range. I've been very happy with mine!

3. spz8

spz8

Hartke HA3500
    Tube/Solid State Pre, Flexible EQ, Onboard Compression
    Not tiny or a light-weight
    Used: $200 - $250

Markbass LMII
    Solid State, 4 Band + Filters, 500 watts @ 4ohms
    Small and light
    Used: $300 - $350

Both solidly built and reliable

4. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

The solid state Fender Bassman heads from the late 90's are another solid value that you'll run across from time to time in the $200-$250 range. I was using a Bassman 400 over a Bassman 115 for a couple of years until I upgraded. It was a good solid workhorse.

[​IMG]

7. middy

middy

The old Peavey, Kustom, Acoustic, etc. solid state amps from the 70s are generally cheap and great sounding.

8. KablesP

KablesP

Peavey Mark series bass heads can be found cheap and have a pretty good tone. Lots of tone shaping on the higher models too. They are pretty heavey though but they will last forever. That's an understatement.

9. gpx1200

gpx1200

I got my hartke ha3500 off of craigs list for $100 and its in pretty much mint condition

10. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Personally, I would spend a little extra and get a head that can double as a practice space head and a backup head for gigs.

At which point, I would be looking really hard at the new Peavey MiniMega 1000.

1000 watts
    Light and small Class D form factor
    Semi-parametric Lo and Hi mids in the EQ
    street price of $499
    Built in compressor and a bunch of other really handy features

If I didn't already have a nice Class D for practice and a gig backup, I'd be pre-ordering one of these MiniMegas.

11. bgavin

bgavin

My "spare" was a GK 700RB-II recently from a TB member, but it was really just GAS.

12. KablesP

KablesP

13. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Guitar Center's used gear site has an Acoustic 140 from the 70's for $149.

14. Bigskybassguy

Bigskybassguy

Today, my spare & rehearsal amp is the 5 pound 500W Carvin BX500 for $329; Fits in a gig bag. Their BX250 is even smaller.

But my BX1500 never faulters.

15. itchyfingers

itchyfingers

Another vote for a class D head that fits in your gigbag - the TC Electronics BH250. Shouldn't be hard to find even a new one under $250.

16. lastnotleast

lastnotleast

My backup/practive amp is a GK BL600 which I picked up for $150.00 and the tone is like buttuh.

17. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

How about a GK MB200? Grab one from RMC Audio. That's what I use as my backup. It's tiny and very lightweight. It sits in my gig bag at all times...

18. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

That deal for the BX500 is crazy good.

:bassist:

19. reno88

reno88 Supporting Member

i scored a carvin bx500 new ($329) about 2 months ago to use as a backup for my acoustic 370. i occasionally use it as my #1 for rehearsals (have brought it but never used it on a gig). light, easy to use, and great tones. highly recommended.

20. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Any solid amp you can find cheap. Go for a good one since the difference between buying a used good amp and a cheap one makes the cheap ones not a viable option.