1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Good Compromise String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by betardfoosier, Feb 12, 2013.

1. betardfoosier

betardfoosier

What is a string that's somewhere in between XL Chrome Flats and EB Slinkys? I didn't like the ultra-bright rounds that I couldn't get much bottom end out of, so I switched to the Chrome Flats, which are great for some of the songs we do, but are too thumpy and flabby for some other songs. I need something in between the two so I can still have a big fat Oprah bottom, but roll in some treble if I want to. Versatility is the name of the game!

Playing a Jazz with Mojo pre-CBS jazz pups through an SVT CL & 810. Sometimes my low string is too fwumpy and flabby, if that means anything at all. Even with the Ultra-Hi kicked in, I can't get any of that treble zing I like for certain songs. Maybe I will just have to have two basses?
  2. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

3. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

D'addario also has a half-round that I hear is right in between.
  4. u84six

u84six Supporting Member

A pure nickel round wound would work. Something like Fender 7150 or Pyramid.
  5. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

+1

Rotosound makes a pure nickel round, too.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A lot of folks do that. Frankly, I've never been full-on happy with any "compromise" strings I've ever played. The old "neither fish nor fowl" thing.
  7. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

I agree with the bigfoot guy. Pressurewounds are as close to flats-rounds mix as one can get,and they last forever.
  8. Root 5

Root 5

+ 1
  9. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

10. Lo-E

Lo-E

I'm a fan of Ken Smith Compressors, which are very, very similar to GHS Pressurewounds. Thy're made by GHS, but to Ken Smith's specs.
  11. 3234718

I know Jason from bassstringsonline likes Ken Smith Compressors. A man with access to every string in existence and he chooses those? That says a lot.
  12. mindgrinder

mindgrinder

"Maybe I will just have to have two basses?"

That would probably be your best bet.
    A P-bass with flats and a jazz with rounds would work well.
  13. 3234718

And a fretless....and a short scale,....and a PJ......and a Musicman...
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    And if you want to have some fun and shake things up, the opposite works very well, too.