1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Good deal on this V4b?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jumblemind, Dec 2, 2012.

1. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

This local listing caught my eye. I'm not really in the market, but it's been a long time since I had a tube amp, and I could drop some cash if the deal is right. I'm not overly familiar with the differences in V4b's, though. This looks like an early version b/c of no nameplate on the grill, but it could just be that it fell off somewhere along the way, I suppose. Also, the knobs look like replacements. Weren't the knobs always metal on these amps?

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/msg/3437659823.html

2. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

That's about what they go for around here (just East of you) +/- a little bit. They are AWESOME amps. I just got one not too long ago. The honeymoon is nowhere near over. Of course, the guy in the ad said "asking", so shoot him an offer of $425 and see if he takes it. They have just recently gotten a bump in popularity so I think the prices will go up soon. BTW, I bought my Mesa Walkabout stack from a fellow TBer there in K-ville.

3. jumblemind

Nice. You don't haul that Ampeg beast to real gigs, do you?

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Plan on another 300 or so in recapping, retubing and it's a pretty cool head. You need to know the recent service history of the amp to knpw if it's a good deal. On the other hand, it looks to be in decent shape and even if you have to service, it would be a nice amp to have in the stable.

IMO - vintage tube amps are kinda fall into the 'If you have to ask the price, you don't really want to know class...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Not a bad price but take advantage of the OBO if you can. Looks to be a Magnavox era (my second favorite era) and yes the knobs should be the metal knobs.

7. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    the fact that it has a 3 prong cord means its been updated sometime and was probably recapped as well.... ask.

the V4b isn't a beast to carry.

8. two fingers

I have for the last couple. But that's mainly because of the "newness" to me. I'll probably go back to my Mesa soon. But I'll have no problem whipping that V4 out from time to time and letting it eat! I'm the house bass player for an open mic blues night every now and then. I take my old Fender PA100 out to that so a harp player can plug in with me if need be. But I'll probably take the V4 from now on and maybe take the PA100 and a little 12" cab for anybody else who needs to get in like a 2nd keys player, harp, etc. It's tubes man! Light 'em up!

9. jumblemind

Well I'm still recovering from a neck/back car accident thing. I was actually about to buy a new PF500 to get my gear weight down, so spending on a 60lb amp doesn't seem logical for the near term. I can't see myself hauling it up hotel service elevators or through winding convention center back corridors. But I've been buying sansamps and SFTs and all kinds of stuff trying to get that old ampeg tubey sound in my light rig...and yet here it is in the flesh.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    And as much as I dig emulation these days, it blows away any emulator. And that's why many of us still lug around the tube beasts.

11. two fingers

Now, the V4 uses 6L6 (7027) power tubes stock so it will sound a little bit different then the SVT (which uses 6550 power tubes), but MAN that V4 just sounds really good.

That being said, the Mesa Walkabout is a good lightweight option for getting a really nice warm tubey kind of sound without making your back/neck thing worse. Either way best of luck with that!

12. nysbob

nysbob

Word.

13. I<34080

I<34080

That's a pretty fair price for the condition it's in. I've seen atrocious looking ones go for 450.

14. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

hell yeah, i use my V4b EVERY gig!

I picked mine up with a 4x10 for $500 but that was from a great friend who is now in the military.

15. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Supporting Member

I owned that exact model. It was too heavy, but was the best sounding tube amp I ever had and I owned an SVT, that V4B and an Aguilar all-tube head.
    Decent price and if you can carry it, get it.

16. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Why does everyone cry about the weight? Its a Mans amp. If you want the sound then be a man and carry the amp. 70 pounds is nothing.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bah...what do you do? Retube every 6 months? There's nothing about tube amps that makes them more expensive to keep than any other format. Once in a while you might have to buy a tube or two...big deal ;)

18. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy

Buy it... you will not regret it.

19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Nothing at all, except potentially a $300 tube bill + service time depending on the head...

I know you hate SS so you probably don't own one, but you don't have to do that if with them. :D

But seriously, tube amps are not for the cheap. Granted tubes only need to be done once in a while, they can cost as much as another amp.

20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

If you read his profile he owns SS heads and I have never seen where he says he hates SS heads either.

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Ya, really! I just used an SS head on my gigs this weekend. I'm not nearly as big a fan of SS as tube, but I don't hate SS by any means.

As for the $300 retube bill, I never do a full retube on any of my amps. Biggest waste of money on earth. I have, however, had occasional large repair bills on SS heads I've owned in the past. They're not indestructible just because they're solid state.