Good double bass brands for advances intermediate players?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by gr8bassplayer, Feb 24, 2013.

1. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

I am a sophmore in high school looking to buy my own bass. I'm looking at around $3,000, but am willing to spend a little extra for a better instrument. I've been using a rented school bass, beat up and all ply.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Disclosures:
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Welcome to talkbass. Some brands have better distribution in certain regional areas and not in others, so it would help to know what area of the country you live in.

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Thanks for your gracious post.

$3,000-3,500 is a ton of money at the Sherry household and I am sure at yours too. However, honesty compels me to note that it's not a lot of money at the bass shop.

It might buy you:
    a) A perfectly nice new hybrid bass -- solid top, plywood back and sides -- or a used one maybe with some change;
    b) A stylin' plywood bass, with change if bought used;
    c) The wreck of an old sold-wood bass, temporarily in one piece but waiting to explode in the first stiff breeze;
    d) A new solid-wood bass of the cheapest variety that might not sound as good as the crate it ships in; or
    e) Something else if you get lucky. But your chances of getting lucky increase if you go see a bunch of basses.

The two points here are, "Don't focus on brands" and "Go see a bunch of basses." If you're far from bass shops maybe you can talk your folks into it by fitting a bass-shop trip along the side of a college-scouting trip.

4. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

Thanks for your replies! I live in Nebraska, so their are not many bass shops in the area.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JonElyashiv

JonElyashiv

If you're ever in NYC or Boston, you should check the shops there. I recently got a bass for college at David Gage in NYC and got really lucky and found a great 30 year old carved bass for 4000. I visited a few different shops, tried almost every bass from $1000 to $250000. I finally found "the one" and it happened to be right in my budget. There were some good "brands" but I wouldn't limit yourself to them. Try as many as you can and hopefully you'll find one that works for you.

7. gprigge

gprigge

I stopped at Kansas City Strings last year and loved the place. Basses, basses and more basses, try them out to your heart's content. Worth a trip if possible. You might not find The One there at your price, but you'll learn a lot and spend a bit of time in bass heaven.

8. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

You might find THIS to be of help, as well.