1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Good first car? 17 yrs old in UK

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Electricblue, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Electricblue

Electricblue

Hi guys, I'm learning to drive at the moment and I'm looking for a car. I hopefully should pass before my 18th birthday in July 2013. I want to pass before I insure it etc.

I'm looking at medium sized hatchbacks mainly, but not too small. A Citroen Saxo or Ford Fiesta would be too small (and chavvy).

I don't like the cars coming out nowadays, they all look like a bloated ankle. Maybe late 90's or early 2000's would be better, I like cars around that period. I like good reliability, cheap to insure, cheap to run and reasonable chunkyness all round. And of course, space for a rig :bassist: I'm running a 4x10 and 1x15 but will soon be changing it to another 4x10.

I'm thinking of these so far:

Vauxhall Astra

[​IMG]

Peugeot 306

[​IMG]

Mercedes E190

[​IMG]

and

BMW 318

[​IMG]

Ok, maybe the last two are a bit ambitious, but you get the idea :D

I'm not one of these idiots who think it's Tokyo Drift or treat the road like a rally course. I just need to get to work and back (about 10 miles each way) by car instead of the bus, and maybe some long roadtrips in the summer :D

Any help would be great!
  2. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Insurance is a biggie at your age.

Newer style Ford Fiesta or Focus models are fairly decent in size. KIA also have some nice offerings. A great deal of my friends had 206s and 306s, one had an Astra (nice car!). I'll also say the Fiesta is a lot less chavvy than a 306 ;-)

I'll also say I've never had issue getting my 810 into a hatchback with one of the back seats down.
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Unless you are very well off or a mechanic, I would leave the BMW and Benz alone because they will be old and very expensive to repair.
  6. 8_finger

8_finger

There is a great Top Gear episode that answers that question.:bag:
  7. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Buy whatever you can afford, and can afford to insure. Fords are alway a good bet here in the UK, in terms of running costs. Unless you're rich, you're not in a position to be too choosy.
  8. Tractorr

Tractorr

Damn you beat me to it.
  9. Mike N

Mike N Supporting Member

I am a mechanic and still wouldn't buy either one of those heaps.
  10. Nahguavkire

Nahguavkire

BMW E46 316 Touring. Insurance will be a little higher but they've plenty of space and they're comfortable and pretty decent reliability.
  11. Ripper

Ripper

Avoid E30's unless you have a large budget for parts and like working on your car.

From experience (at least in the US)
  12. Solarmist

Solarmist 15 miles from Mt Rainier Supporting Member