1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Good flats for a Squier Mustang SS bass??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CAFan, Apr 15, 2014.

1. CAFan

CAFan

I'm more of a guitar player than bass so I use a Mustang in the studio. I'm getting too much string noise with the roundwound strings that came on my Mustang. What would be a good short scale flatwound string? THANKS!!

2. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Hi CAFan-

Welcome to TalkBass, in case no one else has yet!

I just acquired a MW Mustang, and I was presented with the same quandry. Jason at Bass Strings Online was able to help. He recommended the La Bella Deep Talking Flats because they were one of the few string manufacturers who could supply a MEDIUM-length flat wound string. The Mustang basses require this length because of their string-through design. Short scale strings won't work.

The ones you want are La Bella 760F-MUS. They are specially-made to fit Mustang basses. Currently, they are on backorder at Bass Strings Online, but should be shipping very soon. Be sure to sign up at BSO for the "VIP" status, which will grant you a discount as a TalkBass member.

Good luck with your Mustang bass! I'm very excited about getting mine.

3. hotbass57

hotbass57

D'Addario XL Chromes come in med. scale I have them on my Hofner. They are also a brighter flat more roundwound sounding without the noise. The Labella's are awesome also.

4. wisconsindead

wisconsindead Supporting Member

I like my TI flats. Sound and feel great. They may be a bit high in price ($70-80) for someone who doesn't play a lot of bass. However, they'd likely last at least a decade in your case though.

I also liked my D'Addario Chrome flats on my long scale P bass. But not as much as the TIs

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Flats for the Mustang must be specially made for the string-through - so they can bend over the bridge without breaking. The La Bellas may be the only ones that will work safely.

That being said. I am torn between the TIs and LaBellas for best flat. Different sounds, both great. Chromes have a bit of an upper mid "honk" that I don't like.

7. Mechanical

Mechanical

I have LaBellas on mine.

8. CAFan

CAFan

THANKS EVERYONE!! I'm going with the La Bellas. I will keep checking the site until they're in stock. :)

Anyone know any good quality but cheap replacement tuners for my Squier Mustang bass? I love the bass but the tuners annoy me. I think some higher gear ration tuners would be a lot better on it. Anyone used locking tuners on their bass?

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The tuners on the Mustang are decent and work well - what annoys you about them? The trick is to tune up to pitch, not down, and the tuners should hold pitch nicely.

10. CAFan

CAFan

They are super sensitive. It seems hard to get the bass to tune up with an accurate tuner. I've heard that other people who get the Squier Mustang usually switch out the tuners as well.

11. Olde Axeman

Olde Axeman