1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Good Frank Zappa Bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MusicBertrand, Nov 25, 2012.

1. MusicBertrand

MusicBertrand

Hi, this is my very first thread :)

I really like Frank Zappa's music, and i was just wondering ... what are good, challenging tunes for bass to learn by Frank Zappa?

I'm looking to improve my technique as well as my hearing/sight singing through Zappa. (not reading)

thanks in advance! (and i hope im in the right section)
  2. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie-Spector Bass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups
    Roxy & Elsewhere (Echidna's Arf (Of You)
    One Size Fits All
    etc.... etc.....

Love what Scott Thunes did for Frank.

P Bass or Jazz bass works well for his tunes.

You really cant go wrong with anything Frank did. His music was genius.
  3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I enjoy playing Advance Romance. It's mostly pentatonic, but goes in unpredictable directions. (What? Not Zappa! ;)) I accidentally "found" a bit of the Floretine Pogen riff recently when I was noodling, so I kind of want to learn that. Actually, as suggested by gravebass, the entire One Size Fits All record has some great, funky playing courtesy of Tom Fowler. Echidna's Arf is a cool suggestion if you've got the chops. I suspect that one's beyond me.
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Start with The Black Page, and work your way down from there.
  5. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

For a heavy rocking song here's this one...Jack Bruce on heavy fuzz bass!

"Apostrophe'" * Frank Zappa, Jim Gordon and Jack Bruce. Title track.

The whole album is good though, as well as One Size Fits All.

I like most all FZ.
  6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Presumably you're suggesting OP learn the melody to "The Black Page" ...the bass line to that piece is actually pretty pedestrian.

But playing a thorny Zappa melody on bass has some impressive precedent: During his very brief tenure in Zappa's band, Jeff Berlin had to learn the melody to "Be-bop Tango (Of The Old Jazzman's Church)", a real knuckle-buster that's almost as rhythmically convoluted as "The Black Page". Would love to have heard that.
  7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Patrick O'Hearn, Jim Pons, Roy Estrada and Tom Fowler all played P-bass, and that brings you through the mid-70s. Scott Thunes, too - most of the time, anyway. So a P or close equivalent would be my choice of instruments for a "Zappa bass sound". Go figure.
  8. the_stone

the_stone

Check out "Does Humor Belong In Music" with Scott Thunes in the band. The bass is pretty clear in the mix. "What's New In Baltimore" has a killer intro, and their version of "Whipping Post" has some great variations on the standard bassline for the tune.

Slightly off-topic - if you're getting into Zappa and you haven't already, check out Mike Keneally. He was Zappa's last guitar player, and he has a lot of cool Zappa information on his website, including the story of how he got in the band, and his tour diaries from 1988.
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Actually I was just being a smartass, suggesting the most difficult Zappa sheet music I'd seen. TBH, I had not even attempted to play it, so I did not know that the bass line was easy! :p
  10. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

You're a Zappa fan and your having trouble finding difficult bass parts, your hearing must be busted.
  11. mbeall

mbeall

+1 for "What's New In Baltimore"
  12. mbeall

mbeall

Also the bass line of "Florentine Pogen" can stand alone as a piece of music in itself.
  13. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

14. mixtapelove

mixtapelove

A few that I like to practice from time to time:

Valley Girl
    Carolina Hard Core Ecstasy
    Eat That Question
    Tryin to Grow a Chin
    Broken Hearts are for A@%#Holes
  15. bassinplace

bassinplace

I've always been partial to Tom Fowler's stuff myself, but you can't go wrong checking out any of the guys he had. Arthur Barrow was really great, Patrick O'Hearn, Scott Thunes, etc.
  16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

+1

Can't you listen until you find one that is challenging and you like?? :rollno:
  17. MusicBertrand

MusicBertrand

thanks for all the suggestions! Now i'm working on Echidna's Arf (Of You) :)
  18. Rev J

Rev J

The live version of "St. Alphonzos's Pancake Breakfast" where Arthur Barrow doubles the marimba part.

C/S,
    Rev J
  19. BoogerHook

BoogerHook

Try O'Hearn's solo from The Purple Lagoon.:bassist:
  20. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

:crying: