Good Fretless for Under $900?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remcult, Mar 24, 2014.

1. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Besides looking into possibly getting a 5er, I'm also curious about checking out a fretless. Any suggestions for a (probably 4 string) fretless? Should be under 10 lb. I can part with around 900, new or used

Thanks!

2. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

That price range is pretty close to being able to order a brand new Carvin fretless. I have 5 string fretless from them and they are fantastic. Find a used one and you'll likely have a ton of money left over..

3. Jipley0

Jipley0

Five string fretless for half of your budget? Ltd B205sm fl. I have the fretted version of this bass and I love it. I think new it goes for ~450$.

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Used Fender MIM fretless or used Carvin LB70F and save yourself about $400-$500.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Consider the TB classifieds. Your money will go further buying used, and the quality of the basses offered in the TB classified is probably higher than most stores. I bought a used Warmoth J bass with an unlined ebony fingerboard and EMG pickups for $550 about ten years ago. I've never played a bass I liked better. It wasn't through TB, but I was lucky. TB classifieds are the better bet.

7. lhoward

lhoward Gold Supporting Member

Just for curiosity's sake, I checked eBay for Carvin Fretless Bass as a search parameter and there are a few interesting basses starting at about $625 for an LB70F, but there's also a 5-string fretless, a Claro LB75W fretless at $849.

I've been thinking about a Claro but there are other basses that I've bought and am trying out/upgrading electronics on. One's what would be considered a cheap bass, a Rogue 4-string fretless for under $100. The electronics are being upgraded to Duncan pickups (PJ configuration), but it feels pretty comfortable, not quite as much as one I built, but I may be prejudiced. :))

Also, Musician's Friend and Guitar Center both seem to carry those low-cost basses. Just some info to consider. I agree with LeeNunn, checking the TB classifieds should always be a source to check out. I should have done that first. There's lots of goodies to choose from there, including some fretless Carvins.

Lloyd Howard

8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

The Scottsdale, AZ Guitar Center (no affiliation) has a Carvin LB70F for $540.
    [​IMG]
    Neck through, ebony fingerboard, made in the US of A, and if it's busted, you can return it locally.

9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

$900 will get you an incredible fretless if you're buying used, and are patient. As for right now, there's a German-made Warwick Corvette fretless on ebay for $650, which is a good deal.

10. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Yeah, for more than 1/2 of that $900 (around $420 Cdn.) - ESP LTD B205 FL. Played great right out of the box, put D'Addario tapewound flats on it, and it sounded even better. Worked out really well as it was my 1st fretless so I didn't want to spend a lot of $ on it before I knew whether I liked it or not (same for it being lined).

Attached Files:

11. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

Sometimes u can get a used GWB-1 for @ 900. IMO its the best fretless for the money.
    www.basslessonslosangeles.com

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

13. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

If you're "curious about" fretless, buy used so you don't take such a beating in the resale if it's not for you. It seems lots of bassists buy a fretless but a much smaller percentage keep a fretless. Added benefit, you have plenty of choices of used fretlesses at about half your budget....

OR if you play Fender-style basses you can start with a body you already have/like and swap a fretless neck onto it for very little money....