1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Good Graphic Equalizer?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Les Gonzalez, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Les Gonzalez

Les Gonzalez

Hey there, i'm looking for opinions on the best upgrade from an old Behringer Ultragraph 31 band two channel that has deveolped a nasty buzz/hiss whenever the sliders are moved in any direction from flat.

I really wish I could get it into one rack space instead of the three that the Behringer takes up. I'm looking at the DBX dual 15 band, is this a good choice? Application is for local bar band performances FOH and monitor EQ.

What are you using as your sonic standard go to graphic EQ?

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I'd stay with 31 bands, with full range sliders - expressly for monitors. Also IMO, 3 band parametric EQ's are a "must have" for monitoring (Furman makes good ones). Anyway, I like Rane, White and Furman and DBX makes good equalizers too.

EDIT: BTW, your old Behringer EQ may just need cleaning. Buy a can of De-Oxit, and spray it in the sliders and move the sliders up and down to distribute the stuff and you're done. http://www.all-spec.com/products/D5S-6.html

3. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I always recommend a used Ashly as one of the best quality per dollar options.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Peavey 2 space with FLS. No gucci name but they really don't sound bad...on par with the DBX for sure and ... The energy band lights are way useful... 2 spaces = longer throw sliders which are much, much easier to get right than 1RU EQ's... The only 1RU EQ that will see use in my Racks will be a parametric. 1RU graphics are for the boids...

7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Rane here.

Still suffering smoking in bars? Put the front cover on once you're dialed in. No big deal to have a tweak later and put it back.

8. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain

I, too, vote for a Peavey with FLS. Very quiet, balanced ins/outs, typical Peavey build quality, used for around $120 +/- for a Q231FLS model. Check Ebay.

9. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

As others have mentioned, White, Ashly, and dbx have good units.

I especially like the older Whites with knobs - not sliders. It tends to put a stop to people who EQ with their eyes instead of their ears.

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

Used rane is the ticket to get closer to pro level for cheap, especially the balanced versions; i don't have any problem with 1RU sized versions, they're perfectly easy to use.

Otherwise, DBX used are all over the place for dirt cheap, and are a step up from the ol' "B".