Good head+cab combo for shows?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by WavyGravy, Jan 8, 2013.

1. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

So I want to start playing some shows, but my little combo amp is definitely not going to cut it :p. Could you guys suggest me a nice head and cab to buy. I'm looking for something loud and not too pricey. I'm obviously not going to be playing sold out stadiums, so it doesn't have to be huge. Just something functional, that will take me through some modest gigs. I was thinking maybe GK or Hartke, they seem to be pretty cheap and pack a lot of wattage...

Anyways, I'm leaving the floor open for you guys to tell me what I should do! Thanks :)
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Shop used. Get the best big cab, or pair of matching smaller cabs that you can. Then find an amp, also used. Something 300 or more watts should be enough 800RB or 1001RB would be what I was looking for.
  3. P Town

P Town Guest

Ampeg PF500, and any of the matching cabs. Lots of features, good sound, and not too expensive.
  4. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Yes.

You can get a quality head that is used, for the price of a new practice amp. Same with cabs, just start playing through every thing you can to get a feel for what you like.
  5. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Can anyone make some specific model suggestions? I'm looking for something solid state, don't really care for onboard EQ's. Something minimalist.
  6. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

There are a number of great heads from the late-'80s and early-'90s that can be bought fairly cheaply on the used market and will still hold their own on a gig. Check out the Gallien-Krueger 800RB, SWR SM-400 and SM-900, and the Eden WT300. They're all "classic" choices. So is the AMP BH420 (or Gibson GB440). Can't go wrong with any of these.

As for cabs, there are too many to choose from. Among lower-priced cabs, the Aguillar 1x12" is very popular. Personally, I love the Bag End 1x15" compact. If you can find one, the old SWR Henry 8x8" is pretty awesome.

I guess you have to figure out which speaker configuration makes sense for you and we can give more specific recommendations.
  7. countrybass007

countrybass007

Shop around on Ebay, Craigslist, and various music sites. You should be able to find a RB1001I GK for a reasonable price, and GK212NEO cabs often pop up for bargain prices. That should give you a nice starter rig until the shows make you rich. (All TBers dream, big bucks playing bass.)
  8. George Mann

George Mann

The most affordable, capable rig I currently see is a Hartke HA3500 + 410XL.

However, it is important to know what the rest of your band members are using, and how loud they play.
  9. coffeewood

coffeewood

I use a Peavey Tour 450 and Headliner 410 cab on stage. I go direct from the head to the PA and add a Sansamp DI in front of the amp. The setup sounds great with my American P bass and its fairly cheap.

Also, once the place gets rocking and the beer starts flowing things get spilled, knocked over, etc., and I'd rather have the cheapest (albiet acceptable quality) stuff I can have.

Just my two cents.
  10. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    ^^^^
  11. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

SVT 4pro plus a Schroeder 310212, works for me every time. I also keep a 2x12 schroeder and a crown macro tech 2400 for those rooms where ear splittingly loud isn't good enough
  12. willsellout

willsellout

I like the 800RB for the dual amps. It's a loud amp too.
  13. obimark

obimark

TC BG250- best deal you will ever get.
  14. George Mann

George Mann

Since you said loud for a modest gig without a big price-tag, you have a choice between high-powered combo's, or cheap separates.

There are several combo's for around $400 that may fit the bill. The already mentioned TC BG250 ($399), the Hartke Kickback 12 (200watts of loud, clear sound from 120watts, $399), the 200watt Carvin B210, which has a 210 slave cabinet available (flexible. under $400 shipped), or the Peavey MAX 112 (200watts for $249).

There are more powerful combo's for a bit more.
  15. stepswork4me

stepswork4me Supporting Member

Concur.
  16. Mushroo

Mushroo

I use a slightly higher-end head, but I've been a big fan of gigging with cheap cabinets for years. (They get tossed around and bumped so much, left in the car, left in the rehearsal space, etc.) My current cab of choice is a Peavey 4x10 I bought used for $170, I pump 350 watts into it, it is plenty loud for rehearsals and small gigs (bigger if there is PA support of the band isn't too heavy). Can't really go wrong with a cheap used 4x10 (or two 2x10's) for a starter rig.