Good idea or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tonytheleg, Nov 5, 2013.

1. tonytheleg

tonytheleg

So shopping around town and I find a 1973 Ampeg flatback 810 for $300 bucks. It has original CTS speakers BUT the toltex is completely gone and its painted black. I can deal with not pretty but is this major issue? How bad will it affect sound or durability? Any advantage to an older cab because there are newer ones around me for $450 bit $150 bucks is $150 bucks. Any advice is appreciated!

2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

If it really is a 73 and it functions and the issues are purely cosmetic, I would say thats a hell of a deal.

3. brad houser

brad houser

4. brad houser

brad houser

you could always re-tolex as a winter project.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Other than the Heritage 810e, those are the best sounding 810's ever. However, the power handling is greatly reduced compared to newer ones, so don't be looking to turn an SVT up to 10.

7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Grab it.....now.

8. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Yes be careful about power with the original cabs. My recollection is that back in the early days of the cabinet Ampeg offered a lifetime warranty on the speakers in the flatback 810. To qualify, you could use one cab with any Ampeg amp, except the SVT. If you were using an SVT you had to use TWO cabs to qualify for the lifetime warranty, as one cab just didn't have the power handling capability to stand up to the SVT head. Things are different now. Later speakers can handle more power and one cab is enough.

9. tonytheleg

tonytheleg

Any idea what the RMS handling is? The amp im looking to get is 550 peak but probably only 200-300 RMS more than likely

10. braud357

braud357

Buy it, and get some Duratex. I recently used it on a couple of cabs; easy to apply, dries fast and looks GOOD !

11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    They were rated about 240 watts, with nice tone when they start to breakup. Doesn't seem like much but it's plenty loud.

12. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Being painted shouldn't affect anything. They were well built cabs using good materials. Sand it down to re-tolex later or treat it with Duratex (a "paintable" product that is very durable and looks like tolex) as time allows.

13. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

I would use extreme caution in driving one of those original cabs with any modern high powered amp.
    The fact that the speakers start to sound nice when they're at the brink of death should not provide any consolation.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    If you ask me, they sound awesome when they're not anywhere near death, too.

15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

I use to own one of these, saw heavy use for a few years and never had any issue with the cab, the head however was completly re tubed several times during that period. I dont think I ever ran it more than half way open. It was much louder in the back of the room than it was on the stage.

16. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    If you get it, make or buy a roller dolly for it. The flat-back's are awkward to move otherwise.

One of my buddies has a '73 810 with the original speakers, and it sounds really nice.

17. tonytheleg

tonytheleg

So I guess my only concern then is power. I'm looking to run a Bugera BVP5500 550 watt hybrid through it (hold your ughs I've already heard them I know I know but I love the sound and price and have seen plenty of good reviews from owners)

Do I have to worry about blowing speakers all the time or am i safe. If its going to be an issue I'd rather hold off for a newer cab

18. tonytheleg

tonytheleg

Thankfully the guy put his own wheels and towel bar on it already haha

19. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

500 watts? With 500W you'll always have to be careful, no matter what kind of cab you end up choosing.

500W is a boatload of power. With that much power you have to worry about 2 failure modes with speakers -- over excursion and thermal failure. The speakers wattage rating only addresses thermal failure. With a high powered amp the problems with excursion limits in a speaker cab will often get in your way before you hit the power rating.

With a cab that isn't safe for 300W you're going to have to be damned careful with a 500W amp. JMO.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Ya, get a modern one.

21. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Don't rely on seeing 550 watts "rms" from it. They are known for advertising wattage in peak. 275 watts is still enough to damage a classic cab but it will still be pretty darn loud before you hurt it!