1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Good idea, or kinda creepy?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tupac, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

Going to a concert and doing nothing but taping the bass player. Obviously not for the whole concert, but maybe for a song or two. Unlike for guitarists and even drummers, there's a serious lack of videos on Youtube of just the bass player playing a song (videos like this) unless their a famous solo artist. When analyzing someone's technique or how they play a song, I'm stuck with concert videos where I have to watch for a minute before getting a 3 second glimpse. When analyzing technique, I take a scientific approach. I learn the notes and tackle it my way, then see how the pro does, look at the differences, and see why he does what he does. Just get a feel for their style. Anyone done this?
  2. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Done what?
    Taken a video of the bass player?
    Or
    Taken a really close look at a players technique?

Video? No.
    Technique? Absolutely, ses that's part of the fun of learning for me anyway.
    I do the exact same thing, I enjoy doing things my way, even prefer it over all else, but still like to break down their way and try it too.
  3. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Please do it - if nothing else then just for our own vanity!

I do remember one gig where, during a cover of My Generation (complete with customary bass solos), I realised some guy in the crowd had been pointing his camera at the me for the whole song! The following day, still warm and fuzzy inside from the feeling of a successful gig, the vainer part of me had a quick search of youtube to see if this guy had uploaded his video. Alas not.

So please - do it for our egos, because this other guy didn't!
  4. Tupac

Tupac

Hah, that's how you know you're doing a good job as a bass player.