Good idea, or kinda creepy?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tupac, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

Going to a concert and doing nothing but taping the bass player. Obviously not for the whole concert, but maybe for a song or two. Unlike for guitarists and even drummers, there's a serious lack of videos on Youtube of just the bass player playing a song (videos like this) unless their a famous solo artist. When analyzing someone's technique or how they play a song, I'm stuck with concert videos where I have to watch for a minute before getting a 3 second glimpse. When analyzing technique, I take a scientific approach. I learn the notes and tackle it my way, then see how the pro does, look at the differences, and see why he does what he does. Just get a feel for their style. Anyone done this?
  2. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Done what?
    Taken a video of the bass player?
    Or
    Taken a really close look at a players technique?

Video? No.
    Technique? Absolutely, ses that's part of the fun of learning for me anyway.
    I do the exact same thing, I enjoy doing things my way, even prefer it over all else, but still like to break down their way and try it too.
  3. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Please do it - if nothing else then just for our own vanity!

I do remember one gig where, during a cover of My Generation (complete with customary bass solos), I realised some guy in the crowd had been pointing his camera at the me for the whole song! The following day, still warm and fuzzy inside from the feeling of a successful gig, the vainer part of me had a quick search of youtube to see if this guy had uploaded his video. Alas not.

So please - do it for our egos, because this other guy didn't!
  4. Tupac

Tupac

Hah, that's how you know you're doing a good job as a bass player.