Good Intermediate Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stampy, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Stampy

Stampy

Just wondering to myself what could be a good intermediate bass as my next purchase. I was thinking maybe a higher model Ibanez with my goal of being a Geddy Lee bass.
  2. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Why get the Ibanez if your goal is a Geddy Lee? Just save up for what you really want.
  3. Stampy

Stampy

I guess that works too lol:bassist:
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I see it like this, there's good basses, and not so good basses, and the real "intermediate" thing of it is the pricing. Considering anyone can buy a "beginner" bass for under $300, a $750-800 bass is a big step up. But the Geddy bass is a bigger step up than the price would indicate. That's what you want, a Fender Geddy Jazz, so don't sell yourself short. I sold mine to a good freind for way less, and I've seen plenty of 'em around $500. Do what will make you happiest for the long term.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Not sure what you mean "intermediate"? Some pros on this board gig and respect SX basses, which are generally considered beginner instruments. Do you have a budget? What are you playing now?
  6. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

If a Geddy is what you want, it is perfectly reasonable to expect to find one in the "intermediate" price range if you're willing to go used. Looks like there's quite a few on ebay, just to give you an idea:

http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/it...geddy lee&_sacat=38078&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270

Of course as Phil said quality is not always based on price, as SX has proven quite a few times, as well as the Squier Vintage Modified series.
  7. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

+1
    I've a bass I just acquired as a fluke, an Yamaha RBX260. It's about the lowest end Yamaha bass you can but, but dang, the thing sounds good, and plays good, all things considered. I could play this thing for tons of gigs and not feel short-changed. In fact, I'm thinking about taking it with me to my gig in Toronto this weekend for an annual convention I'm playing. I agree with Phil even though I don't own one. I respect the SX, particularly when it's set up well, and I would likely gig with it if I had one.

If you know what bass you really want, then you really should save up for that bass. On the other side of the spectrum in terms of price, I know I really want a certain boutique-quality bass, and I'm going to save up for that and not buy other nice ones, but which aren't quite what I want, which ultimately delays the intended main purchase.

Good luck to you.
  8. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

Carvin basses are good basses and good value for money
  9. Stampy

Stampy

Thanks, ill be on the look out for a used Geddy those are at damn good prices.
  10. kaiser_sosea

kaiser_sosea

I love my Carvin bass which has proved to be an excellent value and workhorse IMO and I bought mine new. You can find them used in the price ranges you are talking and have great "bang for your buck" in a really professional instrument.