1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Good light pick for bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Precision101, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Precision101

Precision101

Hey guys so I've recently been using a pick more (more of a finger guy). and I'm out anyway because my guitar player keeps stealing them. I'm looking for a nice light pick to play with.

Suggestions?
  2. ZenG

ZenG

I like the "DAVA" brand myself.......

Most picks come in different thicknesses anyhow.....
  3. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

I like the Dunlop Tortex .88
  4. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Hard to say - you really have to try several before finding one (or some) you like - and then that might change over time.

I've gone from 1mm nylon Dunlops to PickBoy ceramics that I had to order online, to ones with star holes in the middle to 3mm stubby's which is what I am using right now. Style of music has a lot to do with it.

I can't use the Dava's (with the rubber edges) as I'm looking for lots of attack, and like using the Stubby's because they don't flex (for fast picking) and are slippery (don't grab the strings).

YMMV.

Raz
  5. Precision101

Precision101

Hmm my old bass player used snarling dogs brain picks. I tried one. They were pretty nice. I'm not really picky. (No pun intended) I just went with those. I've used the thick picks before like the jazz picks and if I played in a metal band id definitely use those haha. Serious string buzz.
  6. Precision101

Precision101

Id use Dunlop too. Dunlops are sturdy
  7. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
    I don't think a light pick is a good choice, personally. They give too much and sound too thin, to me. I like to feel the attack of the pick.

I used to use medium tortex (yellow Dunlop), before I switched to heavy (blue) and then I tried many other materials settling on the 1 mm Dunlop Gels, for a while. I still like those a lot, but they weren't available when the band had custom picks made, so I settled on heavy celluloid--which I also like.

Go buy yourself a hand full of different materials and thicknesses and try them all. The attack changes with different materials. Find a pick that sounds good, first.
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Jim Dunlop USA NYLON .46MM picks are easy to grip, super fast, and they don't break.
  9. ghostfather

ghostfather

I'm just getting back into using picks because I'm relenting to the idea that some songs in my band call for it. I like thick picks - let the pick do the work for you. I've been using V-Picks Screamers - and just ordered a pack of Freakishly Large Pointed from their site. I can't recommend them enough. I use them on my acoustic and electric guitars, but they shine as bass picks.
  10. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

I use Dunlop either .88mm, .73mm, or sometimes even .68mm. The .73mm is my favourite just because they have a good balance of firmness with just the right amount of give. And with the Dunlops you can keep a good grip on them.
  11. Russell L

Russell L

Try a Gibson light-guage. Just a little thicker than a Fender light-guage, and give good feedback on pressure.
  12. Jefff

Jefff

Dunlop Ultex. They come in a wide variety of gages but I wouldn't think of playing a bass with anything thinner that.73...1.0 would be my minimum.
  13. jdb72

jdb72 Supporting Member

Ditto!!!
  14. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Something your guitar player hates?
  15. Precision101

Precision101

I wish. You know how guitarists are! Any pick they see they will steal, and then lose it!
  16. SpecialBlender

SpecialBlender

^ This although I found the .68mm was a little light for me. Pretty much finger only these days but still dig one out occasionally.
  17. Precision101

Precision101

Same it's hard for me to use a pick I have to play with my hand behind the bridge. But I like the sound I get with one
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you believe in the Carol Kaye technique to prevent pain in your hands (and I do since it stopped all pain from my hand when I use a pick), you'll find it's best to use a heavy pick on bass because it allows your hand to do less work getting the sound out and transfers the heavy work to the pick.
  19. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

I found the complete opposite, after 10 minutes with a heavy pick I can already feel my hand starting to hurt, I need a pick with some flex to play pain free.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well I won't argue with you if you're pain free.