1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Good music shops in Boston?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by altamont, Aug 15, 2013.

1. altamont

altamont

I'm in vacantion in Maine right now and we're heading to Boston tomorrow for the day. Are there some cool music shops that I shouldn't miss while I'm over there?

Thanks guys!

2. millsbass5

millsbass5

Ooh, goin' to the UFC event? If not, skip the music stores and head to the event. There's nothing like an evening of some good violence.

3. CoarseBass

CoarseBass

...no. I can't say there is anything worth spending a limited time budget on. All Music in Allston is neat, but mostly Mexican fenders.

4. twocargar

twocargar Supporting Member

There's a good one in Manchester, NH (KINDA on the way-ish) called Manchester Music Mill. They are moving locations next weekend so they are having a major sale next week, M-F. Good bunch of people there, good prices too.

http://www.manchestermusicmill.com/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Boston isn't what it used to be, vintage guitar-wise. Guitar Center has pretty much put most places out of business. A couple places worth going to, though -

Mouradian Guitars. Located in Winchester, maybe 8 miles north of downtown. Excellent selection of used gear at reasonable prices.

Mike's Monster Guitar. On Mass Ave in Cambridge, right in between Harvard and MIT. It's a funky shop with a fun selection of guitars, along with vintage toys and subculture tchotchke. A friend of mine recently picked up a '66 P-bass here, and got a smoking deal on it.

Mr. Music. In the Allston neighborhood of Boston. The selection is a day to day thing, and the prices - though not crazy - do stretch toward the high side. Still, worth a visit.

7. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Alta-

The answer is none bro

Enjoy your vacation . Guitar center has ur normal stuff.
    If u want stambaughs , spectors. Ear craft music in Dover but its 20 min outta the way in nh.

Mouadian is all guitars but a great repair shop.

Mr music is meh

8. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I drop in on Jim at least once every couple of months and there's always at least 10-15 basses for sale.

9. Tunaman

Tunetown is in wells ME, worth a shot

You stay in Ogunquit? I'm going to York ME next week

10. Tunaman

Yeah, used stuff, nothing worth that far of a trip off the highway right? I live 10 minutes from it

11. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

I second this! Love this store. Plus, no sales tax in N.H.!

Guitar Center has pretty much taken over the Boston area (Danvers, Boston, Natick, and North Attleboro).

12. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

I've found Ear Craft to be very expensive. I wasn't impressed with their selection either. It was cool to visit (I love checking out mom & pop music shops), but I wouldn't shop there.

13. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

There's a white, 2nd generation (pj mfd pickups) G&L SB2 with a pre lawsuite headstock, black crinkle paint on bridge and pickguard, maple neck and fretboard at HEI music in Nashua NH
    http://www.higherendinstruments.com/shop/

14. Figjam

Figjam

Mr Music has some good used basses sometimes, but nothing great right now. Lots of standard mexican fenders and squiers. A couple US jazzes. 0 US precsions IIRC. A used Tobias I think. Perhaps an overpriced used Gibson. Most of the prices are high. That said, I love that shop, simply because its in my neck of the woods and I can go on the regular.

15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Every time I've been to Mouradian's shop, they've had 25-30 basses hanging on the wall. Mostly used, name brands (not 99% Squier or Schecter like GC) and all at decent prices.

16. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain

17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Is Bay State Music still on Hunnington Ave ?
    Craig Jones has some nice vintage stuff.
    Have not been there in 3 years.
    Great guy to deal with.

18. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I haven't been to Bay State in years, but every time I went there, his prices were obscenely expensive. I mean, not just overpriced - extremely overpriced. I found the proprietor to be off-putting, myself.

19. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

I moved from Mass in 1995 and haven't been back much, only once in 14 years, but I used to go to Hanover music in Hanover, and Central music and Brockton music in Brockton. Both towns are south of Boston maybe about 30 minutes or so.

20. Titania

Titania

The Boston Guitar Center is BIG and usually has some unusual stuff in. I bought my Bergantino cab there.

There's also a nice shop near Nashua, NH called Guitar Gallery that carries Ricks, as well as nice Fenders.

I 3rd the Manchester Music Mill. Cool folks and some nifty gear can be found there.

21. birdman14

birdman14

If you were still in Maine, I would definitely suggest Buckdancers. It generally has a pretty good selection of stuff, and I believe has a few Lakland Skylines (including the hollowbody which I've been meaning to check out) and some Warwicks, not just the Rockbass stuff but true German warwicks (I want to say they still have the Thumb bass i tried a few months ago. Great tone, but I swear it weighed 12 pounds). They also have a really cool selection of your non-standard guitars, including cool vintage pieces (some old vox, used to have a Guild Starfire, old Rick, some old Gibsons).