1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Good power amp threads?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Discharge, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Discharge

Discharge

I did a quick search but I couldn't find much, I don't use the internet much either...

I'm a bit bewildered by the amount of choice and some of them just seem too powerful, QSC seem like a good brand but they have 12 different types of amp :confused:

Help!

It's to drive a single ACME B-4 series 2, 4 ohm

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

There was a Crown XTi 2000 in the TB Classifieds recently for under 300, may still be there. I have one in one of my racks and it has plenty of clean power and is very lightweight.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Start by rigidly defining your budget, that will pare down your choices substantially.

4. johnpbass

johnpbass

I use a Peavey IPR1600 with my ToneHammer Pre/DI and Eden WTDI. Sounds great, solidly built, lightweight, good amount of power (for what I do anyway), simple but useful feature set, and inexpensive.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Next, look at the amount of power you realistically need/want.

After that, look at your preamp and find out which amps have an input sensitivity that matches well with your preamp.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Carvin makes good stuff at a good price point.

They are my go to brand for amps.

8. Discharge

Discharge

I guess $300 is about how much I want to spend, I hear the SansAmp RBI/RPM is a good choice so that's what i'm gunning for?

I'm not too fussed on power, I obviously want lots of head-room but I want a well made product more than anything else?

9. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist

If weight is not an issue a qsc rmx 2450 or a used Crown K2 are stout choices.

10. bgavin

bgavin

11. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Another Peavey IPR1600 user here! Light (as in "not heavy") and light (as in "enough LEDs to make the whole stage shine in that nice blue").
    Plenty of power (for me!!) - 300€ new

12. chucko58

chucko58

Disclosures:
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Like bgavin, I'm a fan of first-generation QSC PLX amps. They're versatile, reliable, easily repaired when they do break, and common enough to be cheap.

My current rig has a Peavey IPR 3000 DSP for the weight reduction and modest DSP. If you are looking for an inexpensive, modern, lightweight power amp, I would suggest the IPR 2 series or Crest ProLite.