Good practice amps?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Colbeh, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Colbeh

Colbeh

I'm looking for a decent practice amp under $200 for my 5 string Warwick Fortress. I've been looking at the Ampeg BA-110 and it seems like a good choice, but I see that some people experience some bad buzzing sounds on that one. I saw a few threads already posted about practice amps, but most of them are looking at 200-300 price range. I'd like to get some recommendations from you guys for a practice amp under 200. No gigs will be played with it, just for practice at home.
  2. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Acoustic B100 1x15 and Gallien Krueger MB112 1x12 are both close to your price range, especially on sale. Both are very good values, good sounding, etc. Would work on a smaller gig too. The B100 is cheaper and has more guts but is big and heavy. The GK is a mini powerhouse. I keep a B100 in my basement and a MB112 in my bedroom. I tend to play more often when i have gear scattered around the house ready to flip on. :)
  3. backup

backup

you can get a roland micro cube used for under 200. new its 200.
    imo its the best practise amp on the market. its super portable (battery powered) and has all requiered practise features. (drum machine, tuner, fx and rig simulation, audio input) i like the sound very much. of course you wont gig or rehearse with it but for practise purposes its great.
  4. soulman969

soulman969

For less than $200 you're limited to amps that are mainly in the 30w-50w output range and with a 5 string I'd probably look for one with a 12" speaker. In your price range and new maybe the Acoustic B30 is one you should try. Another would be a Peavey Max 112 combo. Both reliable manufacturers and either could be had under $200.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. soulman969

soulman969

I think an MB112 would be a great choice, I have one, but even on sale either of those will run a lot more than $200 new. You might find a B100 used for close to that price but not an MB112.
  7. Colbeh

Colbeh

I'm finding that the B112 is hard to find in new condition now, and it's out of my range anyways. The Peavey seems to look pretty promising, however. Does anyone have any good experience with the Ampeg 108 or 110? Also, any other recommendations are appreciated. Thanks for all of the input so far, everyone.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have both the BA108 and BA110. BA110 is a better sounding and louder amp, but the BA108 was quite a pleasant surprise when I first plugged into one, and it's my go-to practice amp because it's lighter and has enough for what I need in a practice amp...very small gigs and practices.
  9. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just got a BA-110 for my son, having owned a BA-112 myself and loving it. It has the infamous buzzing when cranked a bit, I hope we can find and resolve it as he loves the tone.
  10. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

The GK is a great amp - and can do small gigs.
  11. Cutty

Cutty

Marshall MB15 is a great small practice amp,the vintage tone on one of the channels is very nice sounding IMO.
  12. AwesomeWithAQ

AwesomeWithAQ

I have two Fender Rumble 60s that I love dearly. Got the second one on eBay like new for $116. It's been replaced by the Rumble 75 now with different features and voicing. Brand new they are just over $200.
  13. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

BA-110 is a nice combo. I have both BA-110 and BA 108. Wood glue on the internal seams and more batting is a cheap fix for the buzzing.
  14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

15. Metaldood19

Metaldood19

Acoustic B20 was my first combo and i still jam that bad boy from time to time. Lots of punch in it. Ampeg BA115 rules too. I currently use my roommate's Fender Bassman Ten as my practice amp which rules.
  16. capncal

capncal

Fender BassMan 25, if you can find any. best sounding amp i've played. period. it's just so tiny!

when playing gigs with decent PA's, i will sometimes bring the BassMan 25 for my monitor and just DI.

There's a new model, called the Fender Rumble 30 I think, it's a bit bigger, still with a single 10 though. I've not played them but you can prob find one of those used in your price range.

I paid $40 for my used Fender BassMan 25.
  17. Inconnu

Inconnu

I tried a 112 and a 110 side by side to decide which I'd pick up (as a present for someone) and the BA112 is wayyyyyyy better sounding and will most likely handle your low B. The answer you won't like is : save up the extra 40$ you need to get yourself a new BA112, you won't regret it. Christmas is on it's way, maybe Santa will bring you the extra $$$ you need!;)
  18. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Sometimes spending a little extra makes all the difference. I wish that someone told me that when I started. Maybe then I would be just playing instead of messing around with modding amps. - Anyways, modding is still fun.

Edit: Used BA112s are under your $200 budget. Knowing what I know now, I would go for a used B100R myself.
  19. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

http://www.fender.com/products/rumble/rumble-30-combo

I've got the Bassman 25 version from a few years back. It sounds pretty good at lower volumes actually. And all the inputs on it make moving your practice area around a snap. All you need is the amp, bass, and a computer/iPod and you are all set. If you can find the Bassman 25 version from several years back I highly recommend it. But if not, the new one linked above should be similar. Here's a pic of the one I have.

Attached Files:

20. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Ya, the MB112 went up in price I guess. The B100 is still $250 and MF has 15% off every other day which gets close to the $200 mark. They also do specials on the B100 sometimes. I have seen it for $150 to $200 new which is a steal.