Good Replacement Speaker for a Vintage Traynor 1x15 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Amigo, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Amigo

Amigo

I'm using a traynor YBA-1 bassmaster Mark II for a bass/keyboard amp. I got it with a vintage 1x15 cab...

I wouldn't call it a cube as it allows for a decent amount of space around the speaker (compared to most 15" cubes), but it's more compact than traditional bass cabs (4x10's, 2x12's etc). The cab is closed back and weighs a good 60+ lbs. I believe it's a YS-15?

I'm not crazy about the stock marsland speaker in it however, I also think the dust cap is rattling. It seems to really "flub" out on low frequencies. I can tell the amp sounds really good and I can hear it trying to dish out those chest kicking lows. But the speaker sounds as if it's going to explode with the volume dialed to 3.

The amp is rated at around 90 watts and 8 ohms. The Traynor YBA-1 bassmaster Mark II is quite a bit different than the original and seems to be better suited for bass than it's first model. fitted with different tubes, bigger transformer and about twice the wattage.

Long story short, I need something tighter sounding that can really handle the low frequencies I'm pushing into this thing. I'm also running bass synths and drum machines into it, so I'm really looking for those tight sub frequencies.

Are there any 15 inch speakers you guys would recommend for this setup?

Thanks

2. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

YBA1A Mark II?

90 watts at 8 ohms.

The cab is sealed, as you say, so it needs a driver designed for that. An Eminence Beta-15A is cheap, has a Qts reasonable for a sealed box, and has a reasonable (4mm) Xmax. The only "gotcha" I can think of is if the box is so big that the driver would be for all intents and purposes running in free air. If you get me the cab dimensions, I (or someone else here) can answer that for you. Won't be until later tonight, though.........

3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Its a traynor 1x15 so im sure its on the small side
    around 3 cubic feet.

The beta is going to perform better than whats in there now.
    it is somewhat muddy for fullrange.
    Little extra money could get you more highend and more power handling

if this is going to be your rig for awhile
    The a extra 60 bucks or so for the Basslite C2515 could be worth it
    should shave around 15/20 pounds of weight and have much more clarity/highend

the legend cb158 is on the muddy side too, but would handle much more power than the beta
    otherwise in the same price range the Delta Pro 15a has great highend and very high sensitivity of 101 dB
    and would be a better choice for a single 15 application.

would actually be louder than the basslite, but has a little extra weight its a cast frame ceramic. dont confuse it with the lower cost stamped frame Delta 15's, its is the pro series version being recommended.

top candidates delta pro or basslite.
    i would almost chase the extra SPL over the lighter driver.

4. username1

username1 Supporting Member

The only problem I see with the basslite is that it only comes in 4 ohms and you said your head was 8 ohm?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Ah krap, your right forgot about the basslite being 4ohms

I was trying to recommend something with more highend
    than a gamma beta or legend. And if it was going to be neo
    stay away from the 300 dollar range and have a EBP of at least 100 or lower. So the basslite at 170ish price wise seemed like a good deal. The EBP borderlines at 96 I believe

The Deltalite II 2515 is 8ohm and still in that price range
    ok highend to about 4k and I think the sensitivity is a little higher than the basslite.

Aside from the weight the Delta Pro 15a is looking good.

The original setup that the traynor was designed for was to use 2 cabinets. Each with 2x15's and rated at 16ohms. So the 2 cabinets would provide a 8ohm load.

Dam that was one of my first rigs and even with the poopy factory speakers. that thing was alot of fun.
    The cheapo stamped steel delta 15's would keep up with that head and be about the same performance as the marslands but it would take 4 of them. So used as a single 15 it would fart out pretty quick like the speaker you have now.

Anyhoo the Delta Pro 15a will hit 10% distortion with about 130 or so watts. So it should stay clean with all the power the traynor head can provide. Tube distortion will kick in way before the speaker ever gives out.

I ran the tap of my traynor at 16 and 4ohms
    and that thing just destroys tubes with the wrong load on it.
    transformer is really tough and will take the abuse. But the tubes will go bye bye really quick.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

I used to have two YS-15 cabinets. I put Delta Pro drivers in it and was good to go. :cool:

8. Amigo

Amigo

thanks for all the help guys

9. rpsands

rpsands

A sealed cab is not what I'd recommend for synths. Retirement time. Or hole drilling time :)

10. Jeff Scott

RP is right, you have the wrong cabs for your intended use. For a normal electric bass, no problem; synths, drums, you got problems!

11. Amigo

Amigo

please explain, not right as in will damage the speaker? or not right for tone, because It's mainly for monitoring purposes, everything will be getting DI'd. Also, what type of mods are easily done to remedy any problems?

12. Jeff Scott

These cabs will not give you the deep bottom end your require no matter what you put in them or any way you might want to modify them (which I would very much not recommend). Better you should sell the Traynors and buy something more suitable. Sealed cabinets, especially small ones like the YS-15 have a significant roll off in the last couple of octaves, great for bass guitar on a boomy stage, not so great for Synths or drums.

BTW, the exterior dimensions of the YS-15 is 21"x21"x 14" made with 3/4"plywood and IIRC the baffle is rebated about 1" plus there are 1x1 furring strips inside the cabinet around the baffle and back panel, so with this information you can pretty much find the internal volume of the cabinet.

13. Amigo

Amigo

I really like the tone of the head, and I play a yba-1 for guitar, so it's nice to have the same sort of amp for both.

I'm totally good with replacing the cab with something better, what do you think would be a good cab for this application? Possibly a 4x10 ampeg? or something similar, or are you saying ditch the whole rig altogether?!

Many thanks

14. Jeff Scott

THe YBA-1 is a really nice amp, however for the big low end you are seeking you will find the amp pretty short on clean volume for gigging. Personally, I would ditch the idea of using the same rig for both guitar and the synth/drums. You really do need something far more suitable for those instruments.

15. Amigo

Amigo

well I'm running a YBA-1 for guitar and a YBA1A for the bass/synth setup. I'd agree that the yba1 falls short in the bass department, but the YBA-1A is rated at twice the wattage, bigger tansformers and different tube architecture, (also weighs twice as much) even with the cab setup I have now it can dish out the low end.

??? Not really able to spend a fortune on say an ampeg head or something, maybe down the line, but might get the cab fist then switch over eventually.

16. Jeff Scott

Yes, the YBA-1A is more powerful, but depending on how loud you may play it still is not enough to keep the bottom octave or two clean. I used to have a YBA-3A (my first bass amp, in fact :cool:) and it sounded great but did do the typical overdriven bass when cranked up high enough. Regardless, the YS-15, or any sealed cabinet for that matter, just does not do super deep bass, it is the nature of the beast.