1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Good songs on a six string bass?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lttoler, Sep 1, 2011.

1. lttoler

lttoler

I am playing with a 3 piece cover band and have thought about experimenting with a 6 string bass, or a 5 with a high string. What are some good songs, mainstream if possible, that feature a six string bass? Thanks in advance!
  2. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

mainstream? primus is the only one i can think of. he used a 6 string fretless for a while in the 90s
  3. spade2you

spade2you

I may be a 6 string player, but I don't know if there are any mainstream tunes that require a 6 string. I'm sure there are tunes that have been recorded on a 6, but the full range wasn't explored.
  4. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

5. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

+1 on Primus. They have many good songs, but Tommy the Cat is most popular.

If you're ready for a nasty workout, you could check out the trio of Bill Dickens, Neil Zaza and Bobby Rock. Their songs are instrumental, so they wouldn't really be singing covers per se. I saw them during a Rock Across America tour in 1996 or 7. They released a CD titled Snap, Crackle & Pop... Live. However, Bill Dickens uses a 7-string bass so there would be parts you'd have to adapt slightly.
  6. Mark Perry

Mark Perry

I'll suggest a few that would be easier (notes closer) on a 6 string:

You could play "All right now" (by Free) and halve the distance of the slide in the solo.
    "Good vibrations" by the beach boys perhaps. There's other songs played by Carol Kaye with high register notes.
    Possibly a few Beatles tunes? "Come together" uses the high E i think.
    Anthony Jackson invented the 6 string and played plenty of sessions.

These may or may not sound better on thicker strings. :meh:
  7. spade2you

spade2you

If/when you set up 6er nicely, playing the lines on a B shouldn't be terribly different than the B string.
  8. bradjonesbass

bradjonesbass

Dave Matthews Band. Stefan often uses a six. Dreaming Tree is one of the coolest six string licks I've heard in pop music.
  9. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

I look at it like this a 6 string is 3 basses in one. Thers a 4 string in the Middie there's a 5 string High C and then the low B Five string. I wouldn't worry about it Really Now if you want to use the Full bass then I have no Clue.
  10. rtav

rtav

John Myung in Dream Theater has used a six string bass after "Images and Words" - check out any of his stuff. Incredible player.
  11. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

He's a god of six stirngs
  12. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

Why a 7 stirng you have to be the "big show" to play that. That guy has 13" big hands.
  13. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

Anything from Los Lonely Boys could also work. A lot of cool stuff from Mr. Garza.
  14. acedabone

acedabone

I've been using a 6 string exclusively for awhile and I find there are alot more opportunities to "Spice" up cover tunes with added chords and notes to add a bit of myself to the tune. Also, being a lead singer as well, the economy of movement is an added plus!
  15. eriky4003

eriky4003

Back in the Saddle by Aerosmith, I heard, was performed on a 6 string bass by Joe Perry. A little chorus on the bass and you're good.
    +1 on Dream Theater, not very mainstream however (in my parts anyway).
  16. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

You can use 5 stirng"as I am" -dream theater