Good sound at DIY shows.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by AngerHouse, Dec 26, 2013.

1. AngerHouse

AngerHouse

For those who do not know what I mean, when I say DIY shows, it usually refers to shows played in houses, basements, and the occasionally DIY venue (just some rented space, nothing acoustically special about it.) These shows are not mic'd (besides the vocalist)

In my experience, especially in bigger rooms, nothing besides a big rig or a powerful tube amp will really do the job. For awhile, I was using two combo amps (one had a preamp out) just to get loud enough, but I kept blowing speakers (it took like three blown speakers to learn my lesson.) My last diy gig I used a b600h on a hartke vx 215, but that head really can't drive two 15's, so now I use it on a b810 cab, which is almost too much!

Anyone else have some exp in DIY/ punk shows? I'd like to hear about it.
  2. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

I wish I could help you but I don't think I've ever achived a "good sound"at a basement show. Usually because the guitar playesr need too use 4 12s in that scene (which I never understood) forcing me to drive the crap out of my amp. I'm a lil confused on how your head will power an 810 just fine but its lacking on the 215?
  3. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

As far as the 810 being too much, for me I would rather have too much than not enough. You can turn the volume down could you?
  4. AngerHouse

AngerHouse

I am by no means complaining! I love that thing! I need it to compete with my guitarists Peavey Heritage!
  5. AngerHouse

AngerHouse

I guess 15's are just really hard to push, I have no idea, but the 810 blows it away.
  6. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Maybe the 810 is voiced or being EQed differently, like more mid-range, and is simply cutting through the mix better. In which case, I’m guessing the 215 could have done the job, as well.
  7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

If everyone's stage volume is raging, just the height of the 810 makes a big difference in getting the cabinet sound to your ears.
  8. AngerHouse

AngerHouse

True, and I think ten's are much easier to drive, and the speakers in it may also be more efficient.
    Don't get me wrong, the Hartke VX 215 is a nice cab, the b810 just seems to suit my needs more.
  9. Chriso21

Chriso21 Supporting Member

I have done a lot of DIY shows man. If you want the best tone and sound you have to accept that less is more. For me, an 810 doesn't sound as good as a little 212 in a small room. Try and keep the volume to the levels of the drums and no louder- cos if the guitar/bass is too loud the vocals either sound like garbage or they are too loud and is everyone's face. Try and put the kicks through the pa too. It's all about volume at small gigs- start with the drums- kick and snare, then match the guitar and bass levels to that, then vocals. Also, try ans put the pa speakers as far away from the audience as poss so they aren't really shrill and high in the mix, but no feedback of course. Austin sxsw shows are kind of like that and a little 212 under a guitar cab is so much better than putting an 810 in front of the stage at the side next to everyone drinking.
  10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

a typical 2x15 is more the speed of a tall 4x10, so of course a good 8x10 (with almost twice the speaker area) will be louder with a given wattage.
  11. AngerHouse

AngerHouse

That's how it's usually done here in Denton! Except people tend to bring their big rigs, even for smaller rooms.
  12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

I've played more DIY shows than anything else and I'll tell you that while an 810 is probably the best for halls and larger unsupported venues, a 410 for basement shows is all you need.

The most important thing is to learn how to eq your amp for all the harsh settings you are going to get in large halls and small basements.
  13. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

And there lies the rut.
    It's not a competition, or at least it shouldn't be one, the results start improving as soon as you don't treat it as such.

^This, times 1000 (at least ;)).
    And the rest of Chriso21's post as well.

A key to a good sound always is a professional approach and experience, no matter the size of the venue.

Obviously, with good gear acchieving that goal may become easier, but it's just as easy to produce crappy sound with high quality gear as it is with low quality gear.

Regards
    Sam