1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Good sounding Octave down only, no dry. Possible?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DJJazzV, Jun 26, 2013.

1. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Spaulding get your foot off the boat! Supporting Member

I'm looking for an Octave pedal that sounds good just playing the 1 octave down. I really don't want to hear the original note either, but maybe a little original blend might be alright. Nothing "chordy", "synthy", or "wobbley".
    Any suggestions?
  2. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

I had an original MXR bass octave that had a good organic sounding octave down. As any analoger goes though, you're going to have some tracking issues in the lower register and when letting notes ring too long.
  3. walldaja

walldaja

Sounds like what you want is actually a pitch shifter. I use a Zoom B2-1u that has a pitch shifter capability that lets me produce a note as far as 12 tones below or above the reference tone and doesn't play the reference tone. Best wishes!
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Aguilar Octamizer does exactly what you describe. You can turn the original signal off, or blend it a little, or crank it up.
  5. eriky4003

eriky4003

You may want to check the EHX Micropog. I know for sure the POG2 does it.
  6. shwashwa

shwashwa

micro pog
  7. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

For the OP it seems you want primarily a digital octaver as it is usually the cleanest replication of your note. The EHX POG/POG2 and HOG/HOG2 would give you that clean, non-synthy, non-wobbly sound. Also the aforementioned are polyphonic as they don't truly track your note.
  8. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

9. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    This is one of those situations where playing an 11-string comes in handy. ;)
  10. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

Tis true, tis true. I occasionally use my Octamizer this way. It not only has "level" knobs for both the original octave and the octave down, but it has individual "tone" knobs for both the original octave and the octave down. Depending on what way you tweak the levels and tones, you can get just about anything you want. Set properly it can replicate your dry tone, or it can get nicely dubby and deep, or synthy and biting. Very versatile pedal.
  11. DJJazzV

Thank you all for the suggestions. I just ordered the Aguilar Octamizer. I'll give that a try. I just want basic 1 octave lower. It's only for 20 seconds of 1 song, live only.
  12. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

I use the MXR BOD, but I want a synthy sound.

The most "natural" sounding analog octaver I've used was the EBS OctaBass. Digital may be the way to go though. Let us know how the Octamizer works.
  13. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

The digitech whammy does well with one octave down if Your just looking for a pitch shifter. There is a slight volume drop but it tracks lower than most octave pedals. Most octaves start freaking out around a or g but the whammy will do low e no problem. Just be mindful if your eq settings and what you cab cabs handle
  14. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario, Subdecay, Tonefactor
    moar stringz. (this is probably the only time you'll ever hear me advocate more strings....) if you want it lower, but you don't want it to sound fake, then you need to play it lower... so either drop tuning or more strings.

J
  15. Wookieonbass

Wookieonbass

The MXR Bass Octave Deluxe using the "Girth" knob does a pretty serviceable job.
  16. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

If you're looking for a sound that is your bass sound only one octave down I think you will be disappointed, no pedal I have tried gives you a natural sound.
  17. pertyman

pertyman

I also recommend the Aguilar Octamizer.

This is my demo:

18. Kazoo_Legend

Kazoo_Legend Supporting Member

+1. This is where I ended. I had the Octamizer but even with careful technique couldn't get it to track below F# consistently no matter how consistently I played . It is a very good sounding octaver. But I haven't found a note, modulated or otherwise, that the Micro POG couldn't track. Guess it really depends on the what you're doing for those 20 seconds.
  19. jaibeau

jaibeau Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:MIKE LULL Eden/washburn (usmusiccorp) Ernie Ball
    Tracking- that is the problem. Everyone has the magic pedal but it just depends on your bass and placement in the chain. I've tried ALL pedals, tracking...this always is the dagger- the pog2 is expensive and does way more than you want but it's personally the only beast that works with all my bases is all applications. But don't take someone's opinion, it doesn't mean it will work for you-
  20. DJJazzV

Thank you again for all the replies. Using the 5 string would obviously sound the best, but for 20 seconds of only one song, I can't justify bringing a 2nd bass to a gig. I really want to gig with my '76 Jazz.

For recording the song, I'll obviously use the 5 string, but these pedal comments from everyone are great and very helpful. I'm probably not the only one in this type of situation.
    Thanks again.