Good Sources?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Gerbs, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Gerbs

Gerbs

Me again! :) Just wondering if you guys could recommend some good sources for learning? (print or sources) Hell, if you know of any good teachers in the 90731 area I'd be open to that too. I've already started StudyBass.com, but it seems a little to methodical for it to be my only source. Any response helps! thanks
  2. Hotrodmick

Hotrodmick

I've been on the Scott's bass lessons and Norm Stockton lessons. For me they have both been good but I've been playing guitar for 40 years.
  3. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

what is it you want to learn....some of the internet guys will get you sort of going,but real training is another thing entirely......
  4. Gerbs

Gerbs

I just want to get myself going so I can mess around with it at house parties and play with some friends, but I guess immediately just the basics, enough to get me comfortable playing basic scales and stuff. I'll check out scotts bass lessons definitely though
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

probably best then....but i would suggest you learn to read notation....there are lots of songs you can learn that way...
  7. Gerbs

Gerbs

I have a pretty deep background with recorders (embarrassingly enough I played it in hs a couple semesters) So reading music isnt hard, just wanna be taught proper technique and which frets/strings make which notes
    Although TABs are confusing
    :/
  8. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

then a good teacher might be best..... a good method book will be able to get you to the notes...
  9. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Couple of months with an instructor will get that going. Most of the stuff on the Internet take for granted you already know where the notes are.

If the instructor is not in the cards the book Bass Guitar for Dummies is a good get started book.
  10. Badge48

Badge48

Todd Johnson intro to improv. I've been doing this for a month and am making real progress. You'll get to know your way around 251s backwards if that's what you are after.