Good starter bass to learn on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Morson93, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Morson93

Morson93

Okay, so Christmas is coming and my brother wants a P bass for christmas. Nothing more than £100 (between $170-$200) unless it's worth the extra. He is interested in bass, but may not continue it hence why not wanting to spend alot. Squier seems a good place to start, but abit out of budget, so is there anything that'll feel comfortable to play on, doesn't weigh a ton, and looks nice, not tacky.
  2. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

3. ksihawk7

ksihawk7

SX from Rondomusic.com
  4. Morson93

Morson93

He's stuck on P bass, so the musicman is a doubt, although i am looking into the musicman style
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. audiomitch

audiomitch

A setup should be taken in to consideration too. Buying a badly setup bass will frustrate him more than anything else. Do you have any brick and mortar music shops in your area? It may be worth paying a little extra to end up with a playable instrument.
  7. billoetjen

billoetjen

Oh boy, I think I can smell where this thread is going to end up...
  8. Morson93

Morson93

why be an idiot?
    i was asking for advice, and if anyone had got a bass cheap for starting that they'd recommend. sorry we don't all have ric money, and sorry he's only just learning, no need to be a douche.
  9. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

I would echo the Squire, but, I've also been impressed with the Ibanez offerings at that price range, especially as to the electronics.
  10. canadian_man_44

canadian_man_44

Just wondering how this guy is being a douche or an idiot. He simply mentioned that you might want to get it setup and that it may be better to pay a little extra for a playable instrument. I've been playing for 23 years. I was lucky enough to have a well setup bass to start out on. It was a cheap bass, but the setup made all the difference. If I had started on a cheap or expensive bass that had a bad setup, I may not have continued playing.
    The extra money he mentioned may be to have a cheap bass set up correctly. The guy was not being an idiot or a douche....he was just giving some good advice to someone(you) who asked for it. Take it or leave it, it was good advice....if you want your brother to enjoy the experience and maybe continue playing.
    On the other hand, if you don't really care....buy him a cheap bass with a bad setup and the roughest strings you can find and watch as he tosses it into the corner after a few days and never touches it again.
  11. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

OP, I didn't take this post to be flaming you! Seems like good advice, to consider the instrument's setup in your search.

If you know how to do your own action adjustments (neck relief, string height, pickup height, intonation) you might find a really good deal on a P bass clone that's in need of a careful setup. There are some good stickies in the repair section of the BG forum. I've seen some decent basses in pawnshops with crappy playability but great potential--just needing a good setup.

And with that bit of TLC you added to the bass, it'll be a very nice present, indeed. :bassist:
  12. guroove

guroove

Squire classic vibe is very inexpensive, and a very nice sounding, nice looking, playable instrument. Also, I would take audiomitch's advice and get it set up professionally, unless it plays well from the store. I've seen some horribly set up instruments at Guitar Center.
  13. tdub0199

tdub0199

Dude... Chill!!!! You asked for advise and someone gave it to you and now he's a douche???? You won't get alot of help here on TB if you act like this again bro.... you will be ignored!!!!
  14. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

the worst one you can find

if he/she can learn to play well on that, then buy them a better bass and it will blow their mind

thats how i learned
  15. ilikeindie

ilikeindie

affinity p bass. with a budget so low you don't have much of a choice.
  16. dalkowski

dalkowski

OP: He's not being a douche. A pro setup can make an huge difference in playability -- which may prevent a new player from quitting.
  17. Legattabass

Legattabass

He was suggesting you factor in the cost of taking the bass to a guitar tech or luthier, OR buy the bass from a store that offers setups.

For clarification, a setup involves checking intonation, making sure the neck is straight, a new set of strings is properly applied, the action is the correct height....

These steps mean the bass will stay in tune, have lower action (IE it will be easier for your brother to press the strings down with less effort, thus he wont tire as fast or play as slowly, and it will reduce fret buzzing), that the string length relative to the neck and bridge will avoid sharps and flats.

This gentleman offered you excellent advice. A 300$ bass that arrives out of tune with a bowed neck, crap strings and too-high action will frustrate a newbie. A 100$ used bass you get set up for 50$ could help avoid all of that frustration.

Take it from me, I'm newish and I've been frustrated a lot. I went through a used Ibanez soundgear, a used german warwick streamer, an older p bass and a peavey t-40, until I got a properly set up MIM P bass. If I'd gotten a properly set up Ibanez in the first place, I'd probably be playing that.
  18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I agree. This is common sense, not an attack.
  19. lucas vigor

lucas vigor

I can't stand the inflated hype surrounding SX basses being used by supposed professionals on this forum, BUT, I would not hesitate to suggest one to a total newbie player. The quality and price don't compare with anything else out there. $150 for the SX bass, $50 for the set-up, done deal! The quality of SX basses for the money, compared to what I had when I was growing up way back in the dark ages (1980's) is really, really good!
  20. ghostdog93

ghostdog93

Just to clarify a few points regarding the SX basses from Rondo...

Orders shipped outside the US & Canada have no warranty and are not refundable - see return section for details.

Customers ordering outside the US & Canada are also responsible for paying their own customs duty / VAT. All prices are in US Dollars

Customers ordering guitars outside the 48 states are required to order a hard case and must provide a phone number.

...so by the time you add in the hard case (another $50), plus shipping and customs, I think the OP is going to be above his price ceiling. That $109 bass can quickly rocket to $200 with all the added expenses.
  21. gitlvr

gitlvr

I'd get a Squier Affinity P or J, whichever flavor you prefer. I don't know what they cost outside the U.S., but regardless, they are probably your lowest price option. They sound good, look good and play well. That's my suggestion, and IMHO you could not do better for the price range. Good luck with your search.