Good starter Stack

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Squawk, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Squawk

Squawk

I own a BA110. I'm going to test it this weekend with a drummer and electric. I'm doubting it will be heard of the drummer. So I'm thinking Im going to need to upgrade to a stack. I like the Ampeg tone but I'd like to keep it under $1000. More towards $750 if possible. This would be used for small to medium sized gigs and practice. I'd prefer nothing that requires a dolly.

Suggestions.
  2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Hard to say without knowing the band/drummer. The BA110 will likely be well short, but something like a PF500 and one or two 210AVs stacked vertically might be enough. That gets me by in my metal band with a heavy drummer for rehearsal, and for shows we do IEMs and a huge PA, so I don't even need to have the cabs for shows.
  3. Squawk

Squawk

This will be mostly old country, blues, bluegrass and rock. Nothing heavy. No distortion.
  4. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    If I had to guess, a PF500 or maybe even PF350 into those cabs will do you fine. You might even be able to just do PF350 into one of those cabs for about $600, but that depends on the gigs. Do you know if this band has a good PA that you can run bass through, essentially making your rig a side fill monitor?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What is available to you locally and used?
  7. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

8. Squawk

Squawk

Locally not much. I have GC and a Willis. Most small stores have very limited selection of used. Most of it beat to hell.

We have a PA which the mics, and guitars go through. But it's pretty old and not the best.
  9. pie_man_25

pie_man_25

I bet that stack has smooth, buttery highs and thick, syrupy lows.
  10. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Good to know. This weekend will be a good test on volume, and you can probe more for what size venues they are playing, and if those venues supply ample PA or not.
    Assuming moderate to loudish volume and no PA, your rig will be doing the heavy lifting for bass. I'd go with the PF500 in that case, and not entirely sure which cabs to be honest. I'd be a little worried that the 2 210s wouldn't fill a room well, though I think they would.
    Are you open to used gear? If so, there's an Ampeg SVT 7 PRO in the classifieds right now for $475:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/fs-ampeg-svt-7-pro-1067990/

Pair that with a good cab and you'll be set for a long while. I personally know the Avatar B410 is a pretty decent cab that'll go lower (well, smoother lows at higher SPL) and a bit louder than the 210AVs, IMO. It'll set you back about $545, so it pushes you a little over budget. Tons of good cab choices though.
  11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

For easy transport, I'd consider a pair of 210 cabs. The problem is that good ones are pricey and it is hard to find a used pair. Don't give in to the temptation to buy a 210/115 combination, or even worse a 410/115 combination.

You say you prefer to avoid a dolly, but what kind of weight is actually acceptable? If you like Ampeg, are you considering a PF-800 head? I'd suggest you look at the Talkbass classified Ads. I have found great deals on very fine gear there, especially heads and cabs.

Finally, don't worry about "tone" as much as clean quality volume. You can dial in tone. You can not dial in more output if you have hit the fartzone (distortion level) with your cabinet(s).
  12. Squawk

Squawk

Good info guys. I'm gonna start with a good quality head. And then save up for cab(s).
  13. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

I just saw an Ampeg SVT classic for $799 at the Guitar Center outlet here in Dallas
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Supporting Member

Car in BX-500 head is $349 new on sale. For the price you can't beat it - 500 watts. Light, powerful and great sound.
  15. DogBone

DogBone

New? Something from Ampeg's Portaflex line.

Used? An Ampeg 115 cab or two powered by a V4B head would be the shnizznit. You could always get a less expensive head and work your way up of course.

However, unless things are really off the hook with the drummer or guitarists volume wise, I'm wondering if you even need a stack at all, particularly with those genres (they're right up my alley by the way :) Ive switched from head/cabs to combos years ago and love the grab and go simplicity).

Anyway just in case, used, a model B100R combo is a tone monster and gets loud for it's size and would be PERFECT for your listed genres. And there's always the larger BA combos to consider, especially if you like what you hear from your BA110.
  16. FerruleCat

FerruleCat

I'm in a similar boat. Had an Acoustic B100 and liked the tone, but it had no swat. Sold it and got a closeout Fender Rumble 350 2-10 combo amp, which would probably get me by. But I'm seriously considering an Ampeg PF 800 with Ampeg SVT 212av cab. At $1,300, that rig is above your stated budget, though.
  17. Darryl Miller

Darryl Miller

You can make a good solid state combo amp sound good by running an ampeg SVTDI box (discontinued) and the engineers have started a new company KHAN audio (same box). Makes your tone sweet like Jamerson and fits in your gear case about the size of a small shoe box. Sound guys love it and my guitar players wonder how I'm getting the tone.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I used a BA110 on my 50's-60's gig outdoors in front of a couple thousand people tonight. Had PA, of course ;) but it ain't bad at all as a monitor unless you're really loud onstage. Doesn't sound like you will be. I'd say a BA115 or maybe a PF350 and 210av or PF210he would work for you.