Good warmup?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cousinofmurloc, Mar 27, 2014.

1. cousinofmurloc

cousinofmurloc

Hey guys I'm a fairly new player (3 months) and I was wondering any good warmup riffs or just anything you play that makes you fingers limber and stronger. I usually warmup the basic 1 finger per fret climb up and down the fingerboard. I was just wondering if there are more effective and different ways of doing it. Thanks!
  2. markjsmithbass

markjsmithbass Supporting Member

3. fearceol

fearceol

Before you even pick up the bass, spend a couple of minutes doing some gentle stretches (see links below).

After that, what I normally do is finger permutations above the fifth fret, followed by some chords, scales and arpeggios, again above the fifth fret. Why above the fifth ? Because when you are starting a practice session, stretching on the lower frets can be too much too soon IMO.

In my case, the whole process takes about three minutes.

Time well spent IMO. :)

4. Dougie1316

Dougie1316

All these replies have great information. I also warm up to the song 'I Wish' by Stevie Wonder. It contains constant quarter notes at a solid speed and it gets you using all your fingers. Plus it's a great song that will get you feeling the groove. :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Have you heard of the spider walk (I believe its called)? Its where you start at the first fret on the E string (F) with your index finger and you continue on to the next fret (F#) with your middle finger then to G, with your ring finger, then Ab all while using your pinkie. You follow that same formula all the way up the neck only when you get to the Ab on the 4th fret, you start with A string, index finger, and start on B and so on. When you get done with your four fingers on the A string, move to the D string and start on the E#, four fingers, then to the G string starting on the B. When you get to the last fret on the G string with your pinkie, you start back on the D string a fret up over. Hopefully I explained that well enough. There are variants to it as well, but this is the one I learned when I started and use often.

7. fearceol

fearceol

The spider exercise has it's uses, but not as a warm up IMO. The guy in the clip is playing "one finger per fret" on the lower frets ( 1-5). This can be a bit of a stretch even when you have warmed up, but doing it from cold is asking for trouble. YMMV etc.
  8. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Major Scale Box.

G|---9---|-------|--10---|--11---| 1st string
    D|---6---|-------|---7---|---8---|-------|---9---| Optional way of getting the 9 or 6.
    A|---3---|---4---|-------|---5---|-------|---6---|
    E|-------|---1---|-------|---2---|4th string

Pick a chord.
    Cmaj7
    135, 137, 1357, 3561, 3571, 5613, 5713, 7135, and if you use 9's 369, 3569, 7935, etc.

Take it around the circle. C, G, D, A, E, B, F#, C# and if you use flats F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Cb.
  9. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:

Wow, I've never thought that. At all. I'd like to see what some of you others use to warm up, so great thread idea. I'll be checking back on this one a lot I think.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I use the 24 ways of 4 to warm up. Do it on the higher registers if you must, but I do it at frets 1-4. Basically your fretting hand does the following:

1-2-3-4, 1-2-4-3, 1-3-2-4, 1-3-4-2, 1-4-2-3, 1-4-3-2, then start with the 2 and so on and so forth, works great on a 6er going up and down the strings.