Gordo Club (Mike Gordon)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sleepy_monkey, Mar 21, 2012.

1. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

First rule of Gordo Club: You must love Mike Gordon, the man, the tone. Share the groove.

Please...Phish bashers, etc need not apply nor post. You don't want rabid Gordo Clubbers reporting all the posts you make in this thread.

So.......share your pics, video links, experiences, gear you have in common with Mike, your wishlist, your settings on your current Mike gear, shows you are going to, or have been to, etc.....no limits, so long as it is about GORDO.

Here is an excellent source of reference for gear:
    And The Light Is Growing Brighter Now: The Most Detailed Photographic Documentation of Phish

Members:
    1. Sleepy_Monkey
    2. enjoi1018
    3. brillo
    4. Dick Tree
    5. NightTripper
    6. boris
    7. AlvarHanso
    8. phishaholik
    9. TigerInATrance
    10. Floridabwoy
    11. MakiSupaStar
    12. cschenk78
    13. Chadwickw
    14. twhitedc
    15. Bigslapper
    16. Sgt Baker
    17. MarTONEbass

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

Current Gear according to "And the Light is Growing Brighter Now"

Bass:
    Modulus Q5 (active EMGs)

Effects:
    Lovetone Meatball
    Akai Deep Impact
    Source Audio Soundblox Prototype Bass Envelope Filter
    Source Audio Soundblox Pro Multiwave Bass Distortion
    EBS Octabass
    Boss BF2 Flanger
    MXR 10-Band EQ
    Expression Pedals
    CAE switcher
    Boss SYB-5 Synth

Rack:
    Eden WT800 Heads (using preamp section only)
    Meyer Sound Parametric EQ
    Korg DTR2000 Tuner

Cabinets:
    Meyer Sound cabinets, a pair of 750-P 2×18’s and a pair of MSL-2 15″ 2-ways. (some reports suggest 650-Ps and UPQs, but I’m 99% sure these are the same 750-P and MSL-2’s that Mike’s been using for a little while)

3. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

4. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Member number here please, for some serious Cactus love.

As soon as I'm close to finishing my rig, I'll break it down here. It's really inspired by Mike and his setup. I'm pretty proud of it, although it's not near the quality of his stuff... :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. adube810

adube810

Disclosures:
    Physician CSR, Park Surgical Co INC
    no offense, but IMO marc brownstien has way more groove. he may not be as technical but he's more supportive to the music

7. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

I cant believe a high quality heady Panic guy such as yourself could stoop to such outrageous behavior. I'm reporting you to Schools.

Don't tell anybody but I like MG too. Shhhhh . . .

8. brillo

brillo

Signed... Always on PHTour, just crave the Gordo thump

9. brillo

brillo

hahaha great, this is going to turn into a WSP SUX v Phish v Bisco trash thread in no time

10. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

who cares. exactly the kind of posts NOT welcome in this thread. Phellow bassists, please report all posts that are here purely for trolling/arguing. This thread is not to compare any 2 bassists.

11. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

Haha...I quit Panic tour many years ago. Schools is the reason that I bought a Modulus, but wouldn't you know that my Q5 has active EMGs....boom!

12. Dick Tree

Dick Tree

I need to be in this club

ps, seeing Phish for the first time on June 24 in Cuyahoga Falls, OH. It's quite a drive, but they're only in my area on the weekend surrounding my brother's wedding. Definitely going to be worth the trip!

13. NightTripper

NightTripper

Count me in! I'd love to see Phish someday, but they'll never come around my town. It's too small and insignificant. :crying: But I did go to Asheville for Mike's show last year. It was awesome.

OP, love the bobblehead!

14. StrangerDanger

Panic still wins IMO over Phish. As a wise man once said:"I'd rather drink whiskey and hump girls than listen to songs about bubbles."

15. StrangerDanger

That being said, Mike Gordon is an absolute monster.

16. brillo

brillo

We'll drink whiskey and hump girls after we listen to great music!

Been loving how prominent Mike has been the past year or two... I love when the TreyDD starts to kick in and Mike hits that synth pedal and drops a fat bomb to keep the jam alive.

MIKE'S BAND!

17. boris

boris

Count me in! I'm a big phan.
    I love Mike's solo albums, his directing/film making, and of course Phish.
    I'll be making a good run this summer tour, and Pittsburgh will be my 25th show! :hyper:

18. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Huge phan of Gordon's as well. My triumvirate is essentially Entwistle, Lesh, and Gordon. People for a louder Mike did the world a great service in pushing for Cactus to be turned up, but with 3.0, Gordon has been the dominant force in Phish thanks to his outrageous rig. Phil Lesh suggested Gordon use a system that could double as the PA of a small club, and that has led to greater clarity to the back of lawns across America with a very loud bass. Like Jerry said about Phil, "When Gordon's on, the band is on", and Gordon has been on since Hampton '09. My favorite shows I attended all featured a prominent Gordon. 7/7/99 sticks out, because it was the first I noticed him louder than usual, which was easily on display with Sneakin' Sally, and 2001> Disease. 9/17/00 was another Gordon-dominated show, and those two are my favorite pre-hiatus shows. 2.0 the only show I liked of the 3 I saw was Greensboro 3/1/03, and again, Gordon dominated. With 3.0, though, I've thoroughly enjoyed each show I've caught, and a big reason is the prominence of Michael "Soft G" Gordon. (A sober Trey helps as well.) I had given up on 2.0 due to absolute sloppiness, but 3.0 renewed my phaith, though I'm still much less into Phish than I was in college.

19. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

AlvarHanso, great point. Trey being sober has been a huge draw back to Phish for many of my friends. No doubt the band is on fire. We were on the rail in 2010 right in front of Mike in Alpharetta...awesome being so close and FEELING the bass. Then in 2011 we went to Alpharetta and the storms were awful, the show was stopped in the middle of 'Mound' and I thought we might not make it out due to all of the lightning, wind, and rain. 4 inches of water in the pit....yikes! Anyway, I have derailed myself. Mike rocks!!

20. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner

Huge fan.. I was at the two shows after Alpharetta last year CHarotte and raleigh. Got both nights at Portsmouth this year and who knows what second leg holds? I never got into them until I saw them in 2010 and it was Mike Gordon's groove that hooked me on Phish. He allows Trey to be a Jedi

21. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Huge fan of Cactus and Phish in general but don't need a #.

Sub'd