1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gordon Moakes (Bloc Party)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by R.M.S., Jun 7, 2005.

1. R.M.S.

R.M.S.

So, am I the only one who digs Gordon's tone? :) He's got a fat P sound, but with quite some high-end clarity (or sheen or whatever) on top in quite a few songs.

From photo's that I've seen I'm guessing he plays with Mexican P's (blue agave and midnight wine, afaik.), don't know if they're modded. His amplification is an Ashdown ABM with what I think is a 4x10 from the same series. (On the photo I've seen it was miced with a SM57 ;)) I've heard on this forum the head has a very nice EQ, so probably some of the high-end is dialed in, but his pickup may play a role too - if it's not the original one.

Sounds like he uses flats, too - nice (but not overaccentuated) punch. Maybe chromes?

I tried to contact him for some further info but alas his e-mail addy isn't working.

You can listen to some of their tunes on http://www.blocparty.com
    My fave (concerning tone) is "She's Hearing Voices", I thought it was available on their website, but apparently it's only a live version.

2. FunkKing

FunkKing

Pretty cool band, good drummer as well.

'banquet' is a cool tune.

3. chad.planet

chad.planet

super late, I know. BUT I love their new album "four" which came out aug 20th 2012. He's been using ashdown since before they've ever toured. I have been using ashdown as well. It's one of a kind. Regular P, or deluxe (p and j pickups) With good round strings, all bass parts stock, eq set flat and you are ready to rock. Best tone to my ears, no need to dial in his "tone". You got it.

4. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

They just played near here, I couldn't make it unfortunately.

We cover a few songs, fun to play and the bass is interesting enough. Agreed, classic P with rounds tone, no special tweaking needed!

5. Register to disable this ad