1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Got 15/6/1. Add F115 or ML212?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by smeet, Jan 13, 2014.

1. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

As the title says, my main cab is a fEARful 15/6/1 with true 3-way x-over. I want to get another cabinet for bigger gigs and bigger sound. I'm looking at a Baer ML212 and a fEARless F115. My amps are a ShuttleMax 9.2 and a Mesa M9 Carbine. Which cabinet should I get? I've never heard either one in person. I want to maximize my flexibility for tone and volume options.

It seems like the F115 is quite similar to the 15/6/1, so they might work well together as a modular rig, plus it has a great form factor. The ML212 might be a good standalone big cab, and will give me a different sound. But I've heard some say it might not be the best cabinet to use with the M9, since the combo gives too much high-mid gankiness.

Any thoughts or advice for me?

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

If it were me, I'd probably have a 15sub built - that seems like a fairly modular setup that could handle pretty much anything with the right amp...

- georgestrings

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

+2. You don't want one expensive cab putting out more sound than the other expensive cab.

The ML212 would be an AWESOME standalone cab or a pair of them would kill though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smeet

Yeah, I don't think I would try to run them together. Would the ML212 put out good strong lows, a powerful B string? My Nordy VP5 is THiCK down there.

7. CL400Peavey

If you like what you get out of the 15/6/1, I dont see the voicing of the ML212 giving you that level of low end at volume.

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Unless your are bi-amping, which removes SOME of the bad variables that can lead to uneven sound distribution, mixing drivers like that can lead to unwanted results. A sure bet is a 115 sub (by the same manufacturer with the same driver) or an identical cab altogether. Since the 3-way will be up in the air (on top of the 115 sub), you probably won't need another 3 way cab, plus it will weigh less and cost less.

9. mbelue

mbelue

You always have the option 12/6/1 cube if you want a standalone cab that works great with what you have. Should sound almost identical, only less when alone and more when together.
    It's the tombowlus fF stack.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    +1

IMHO, there is little point in adding cabinets to a 15/6/1 that are not designed to use the same EQ contour as the fEARful. the 15sub IS designed to work with the fEARful. Of course you could add a second 15/6/1 instead. :D

Question: Why? :confused:

11. smeet

Why? I started thinking about it because one of each is/was available used in the classifieds.

The F115 has a great form factor (small and kickback-able), so it could be used as a smaller rig, and its voice should be similar to the 15/6/1, so it might work well stacked also.

The ML212 I wouldn't use at the same time as the 15/6/1, but it might be a great standalone cabinet that would give me the ability to get a very different sound than the fEARful, and might actually be louder (4 ohm, emphasis on the high mids).

Come on guys, I understand that the ideal matchup when stacking is another fEARful. That's not what I asked. I'm asking which might give me a wider range of possibilities when added to my cabinet collection.

12. CL400Peavey

Personally if you dont need more volume the F115 is pretty sweet.

If you want a more "rock" voiced the cab Roger Baer is a class act, and so are his product.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Sorry, I misread the OP. For more flexibility, IMHO, going smaller is better. IMHO, I can get just about anything I want in terms of tone or volume out of the fEARfuls, but the fact is a 15/6/1 isn't small or terribly light.

My vote is "none of the above." I'm looking at some of Duke's Thunderchild-related creations. At the same time, for more fEARful goodness, I am seeking an Anchak-built 15sub.

14. rpsands

rpsands

Sack up and get an F215 :)

15. smeet

You mean, money-sack up? I'd love to. Will you sponsor me?

16. smeet

Yeah, I was thinking about building myself a 12/6 or 12/6/1 cube. But then I saw these nice cabs in the classifieds, and I was all wha? And then it was like whoa. Dude. Ya know?

Maybe I'll look again at building a cube. I wonder how much it would cost if I didn't use a cut kit...

17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

12/6 cube would be the route I'd go. Nice light cab for rehearsals and smaller gigs and a great match when you want to bring the thunder.

18. smeet

Except... I always wondered. If I turn up loud enough to push the 15/6/1, I'll blow the little 12/6 cube, right? So I have to limit the volume to what I would get with two 12/6's, right?

19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

True... but thats going to be *really* loud!

20. mbelue

mbelue

Not really. The 15/6 is more sensitive so it will be somewhat louder then two 12/6s.
    I'm also sure that neither of your amps have enough output to hurt a 12/6/1.

21. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Going by Eminence's specs, each should handle the same amount of power. As mbelue wrote above, though, the 3015LF will be a tad louder with equal power.