Got $700 at Amazon - get MTD Kingston Artist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joegrant413, Mar 14, 2014.

1. joegrant413

joegrant413

I've been playing bass for 3 years with the band at church. Started on 4 string Ibanez SR300, then traded that in for a 5 string Ibanez SR35 fretless.

At this point, my playing has come along pretty well. A part of me feels I could expand my bass horizons to funk and pop tones better by getting a nice fretted bass.

It so happens that I have around $700 in Amazon credit. I could get an MTD Kingston Artist 5 stringer for that. Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, the Kingstons are pretty nice. I'm not worried about going to 35 inches.

One risk to all this is that I have never tried an Artist first hand. Another is that - honestly - when I go to Guitar Center and play their selection of basses - I come away saying to myself the Ibanez SR necks still feel best to me.

Anyway, does this sound like a pretty good choice? Any tips appreciated.

Here's the MTD I'm looking at...

Cheers,
    -- Joe
  2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I really like MTD necks but they're not like an Ibanez.
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I'm not a fan of MTD but they have some good reviews.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

This. I can't stand the little Ibanez necks myself, but if that's what you like you might want to stick with Ibanez.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. joegrant413

joegrant413

Yeah. Part of me wonders if it's more a matter of familiarity, and that maybe if I jump into another good piece of gear, my hands will adjust soon enough.

- Joe
  7. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Joe -

I'm still working on this. I had Ibanez basses for years (4 and 5 strings), and couldn't part with them not least because of the necks for the longest time. Finally had some sort of mental switch and did a 180. P basses, now, one with a jazz neck.
    I am still getting used to the P neck. I love the tone of the passive pups WAY better (but that's a mental change, I think). The neck is still giving me a hard time, but it's coming.
    The jazz neck, though--is a dream to play.
    I have no advice about the MTDs. But for making the transition from Ibbys, I can't recommend the jazz neck enough. It's different, but there was no hump to get over. Feels great.
    Jeff
  8. joegrant413

joegrant413

Thanks, folks, for the replies so far!
    - Joe