1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Got a Cab Decision to Make

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

I have the following:

*JBL E-155 in a Bag End S18 cab, and old one...
    *Mesa Diesel 410 (older model, front-ported)...

Using an SWR SM400 or SM400s. I can use both amps each dedicated to lows or highs, to suit the needs of each of these disparate-sounding cabs... or not, but that's a fairly new running experiment.

I have opportunity to buy back my old Bag End S15-D cabs, and it will require my losing at least one of these cabs. I'll most likely keep the JBL/Bag End. The S15s are hilariously good cabs- efficient, carry convincing lows and good full-freq signal, and are an EZ carry.

I'm just posting this to get some feedback on it all... the SWR heads might not be the best for the S15s, what with all the low end they seem to be designed to carry within those over-engineered guts... and I'm aware of the mod to nix the Aural Enhance circuit.

I love the JBL, and can build a smaller box for it.

I dig the mid-punch and growl of the Mesa, tho' it doesn't do the same heft as the JBL OR the Bag Ends.

The Bag Ends, I realize this... I have to have them, even though right this moment the Mesa stands out as a voice I probably won't get with the Bag Ends.

I'm simply having an "I want it all dammit" moment here. I'm sort of looking for a little reality check. These things get over my head, which is why I really need to get this done and get out of the ring...

Any comments at all will be considered friendly diversion, and any good advice will be considered welcome intervention.

Thanks for reading.

2. bgavin

bgavin

I own the 8-ohm version of the E155.
    This is NOT a deep bass driver.
    Like all JBL it is designed for max efficiency, meaning a restricted deep bass response.
    And, like all JBL E-series, it is designed for an EBS3 alignment.

Using the JBL Enclosure Guide, this suggests 6.0 cubic feet net volume at 40 Hz.

E155 in Flat vs EBS3

If you do not mind a 6.0 cubic feet internal box, the E155 will make a lot of noise.

3. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

I don't mind really, if it does something cool an impressive. I don't think that's very much bigger than the Bag End box it lives in now...

4. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

In the Bag End box it does a very nice thing with a reggae band I gig with occasionally. I don't have it so loud, but it sends a big deep push out there. Don't know what to say about that, but it has me fooled.

Edit: Does a convincing "Studio One" sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bgavin

bgavin

6 cubic feet is approximately a 39 x 20 x 17.5 cab, 1" recess.
    A recess for the full 39" is a waste of space, so this can be tweaked.
    Four round ports, 4" ID, about 12" long will tune it to 40 Hz, MACH around 7% at 262 watts.
    The 39" height makes a very nice tilt-back arrangement, and narrow foot print on stage.

I figure about 56 pounds bare, 1/2" baltic birch and the driver.

7. chadds

chadds

I've learned something in 40+ years of playing bass. We have conceptions. Those are like inventions except instead of envisioning a tractor doing what we've done with a mule and plough we overlay our sound goals on gear that may or more often can't do those goals.

So in short what causes you to deliver the strongest music!? While that's happening there are no thoughts of gear.

So to gig, have fun jamming with friends etc. I hear your two Bag End 15s. Run them each with an SWR bridged. Forget this biamping and deliver through your bass what your hands have to say. Use very little eq., crank that pre and AE below 11:00.

That rig will have headroom for days and be portable. You can take 1/2 for smaller gigs.

I'd tell you to stop reading TB and enjoy music but I'm on here same as you.:)

8. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

Sounds like what I was envisioning as I got home from a gig this evening! Pretty cool, an easy project over at the shop when I get the spare scratch for plywood. And, thanks for doing my homework! Lol... seriously, thanks Bgavin. :cool:

This is great, well-conceived advice, I've given similar myself, gotta admit!... and that's interesting about running an SWR into each head, bridged... headroom to spare indeed. Probably a great idea. :bassist:

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Seems to me that your mind was already made up before you even started this thread. Are you just looking for some encouragement to do what you really want to do anyway? :meh:

Very well. Go for it! You have the blessing of the entire TB community. :smug:

MM

10. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

Thanks, Michael. :)

Well, I did in fact have an idea, but thought I'd swoop in for a reality check and maybe to learn some hidden truth... also I can obsess a bit. Probably getting to playing more regularly will be as much a cure as anything. :bassist:

Also I've convinced myself I have to choose only one of these ideas, but maybe that's not true! But, I did learn a little more about the E-155, and that was useful.

I'm off to get 'er done. Thanks all.

11. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

So I've taken this most essential advice. I got my Bag Ends back, and have been running them with the single SM-400 head. Slammin'. I'm getting the SWRs tweaked in, and yeah this is going to work fine. Thanks Chadds, for the perspective. :cool:

12. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Since we are talking about Bag Ends..
    Does anyone know how a Eminence 3015 would sound in teh Bag End S15B-D cab. its teh deep 115 with OD of 18.5 x 28.5 x 24.5

13. Count Bassie

Count Bassie

I think the internal vol is around 4.9 cubic ft, and you might place a call to US Speaker and talk to one of the people there. They are generally a pretty helpful crew.

I stuck a Carvin 15 into mine after sticking a temp baffle over the 18"baffle,and found that after sticking some styrofoam into it it sounded a little tighter. But normally I have a JBL E-155 in it,and it's an interesting sound- clear but very deep- not muddy,but that's because of that JBL.

Still the 3015 is really probably better with less internal volume than that Bag End. But, I'm sure it'll give you something! Try it!