1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Got a Call from the Music "industry".

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Dec 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Guys read the whole thread before telling me a pro player could learn 12 songs and play them in a month.

Sitting Idle since the Drummer Quit the band I was in. Got a call from My old drummer from CA who lives in Idaho now. Needs a bass player to work with a producer he knows in town, He's from CA but moved out here to be near his kids when his ex moved away. So I am supposed to meet them tomorrow and get a CD to learn maybe? They have a CD release party Feb they 8th need a bass player to fill in along with my old drummer on drums.

They need someone to learn and be able to play 12 songs, I told the drummer 12 songs by the time frame depending on the songs might be a little too much to bite off. Of course only because I work full time. It's a country music gig. The CD is already done they just need live performers. While I consider country basic stuff it's not been something I have ever dabbled in save for learning Rhine Stone Cowboy once just for kicks. I am guessing since it's a modern release it will be country with the modern Rock edge to it.

Bad timing since I have not touched a bass in weeks other then the 5 string I picked up Thursday night because, I had no reason to practice and I fractured a rib three weeks ago making picking up the bass less then appealing.

I am worried about biting off more then I can chew and yet want to give it a go.

Any advice?

2. Shedua511

Shedua511

Disclosures:
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    Honest advice? If learning 12 songs in over a month is a challenge for you, you're not cut for the job. Leave it to someone else and save yourself the embarrassment.
    I'm not a top level pro, but I would learn 12 songs in a couple of days, a week if it is very challenging material.
    No offense, just my honest opinion.

3. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    I once had to learn 3 albums worth of material in 6 days.

Actually did it in 5, but they were not hard songs.

Just do it. Unless you think you shouldn't.

You probably know you best. :)

4. spade2you

spade2you

That's 2 songs per week if you start now. This should be no problem unless the songs are insanely complex.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. younggun

younggun

Sometimes we're handed opportunities and challenges that seem just slightly beyond our capabilities...we're given those so we can step up to the plate and surprise ourselves.
    Go for it.

7. spz8

spz8

Yes, as stated, unless these are Dream Theater epics, 12 tunes in 6 weeks should be easy for any seasoned player.

8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

When I read country music, I instantly thought "chord sheet". That would also make it a lot easier. +1 on 12 songs not being too much to handle in a month but that may be prejudice, we don't know the song after all but I have faith in your ability to handle a few changes which I guess won't be TOO demanding.

9. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Yep, sounds like you're not ready for this gig.
    I play semi-pro and a month to learn tunes is more then enough.
    Typically my sit ins are less than a weeks notice & a full set list
    has to be learned.
    Take care of that rib.

11. theretheyare

theretheyare

If you consider this a great opportunity go for it. The one thing that makes us better more quickly than anything else is being forced to punch above our weight by playing with musicians who are better and/or higher up the food chain.

And 6 weeks is doable. You could even find and pay someone to teach/help you out if you get into trouble with the material, whatever it is.

Go for it and surprise yourself. Unless you dont want to do it. :)

12. Alder P Ashman

Alder P Ashman

13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If it's modern country, it's going to be more along the lines of pop/rock than trad country so break out your 5 string as a lot of the newer stuff will need it.

But yea man, either way 12 songs in a month with the finished CD to work off of? It may take a minute to get used to the feel if you've never played that type of music, but if you are comfortable with your scales and such it should be doable. Something I find helpful is to listen to the music 24/7. If I had to learn a new style for 12 songs in a month, every possible waking minute of that month would have me listening to those songs.

The only thing that would make it better would be if you could get a couple hours with the full lineup to go over stops, etc. before the actual date. A longer than usual sound check would do it if such could be arranged.

But yes, go for it, and have fun. :D

14. stratovani

stratovani

It all depends on that broken rib. I had one many years ago, and it's f&%$ing painful as hell just to breathe. If you're still healing from this then you might want to pass on it.

15. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

The rib thing does not hurt that bad but I am not able to pack up my real gear I asked if the combo amp at 50 watts was enough for the first sessions. I think the producer plays guitar, bass and whatever else on the CD, It's all for a client of his.

He will be teaching the drummer the songs today I assume I would be in for the same lessons.

I am a pro level player it's just a gig out of my comfort zone. I have never done session work, or all the stuff I have done I have had plenty of time to think about and practice the material.

As seen here the Drummer and I have a past and have no problem locking into the groove.

He's kept working all these years and I am a little rusty but it's not like I am no longer in his league.

16. duff beer

duff beer

C'mon...no "pro level" player would bat an eye at learning 12 songs in 6 days, never mind 6 weeks.

17. MontzterMash

MontzterMash

How about diving in to learn the first few and see how it feels? I bet you can do it.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I once had to learn 40 songs in 3 days. OK, so some of them I knew, but there were a lot I didn't, and a lot I kind of knew but not all the way. 12 songs in a few weeks is nothing, sorry.

19. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner

PM the info to me and I'll do it.

20. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I agree with this. I landed a gig in a touring band by learning two entire cds worth of material in one weekend. The BL had given me the cds on a Friday night and asked me to learn 3 or 4 songs then show up for the audition the following Monday. When I arrived, he asked me what songs I had learned. I said all of them. He didn't believe me until I told him to pick the songs he wanted to hear me play. After the 4th song he looked at the drummer and keyboard player and said "I'm convinced".

If you can't learn 12 songs in 5 to 6 weeks, you are probably not ready.

21. trevcda

trevcda

Media:
    Albums:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.