Got another audition offer - I'll make it to this one

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by GlennW, Nov 6, 2013.

1. GlennW

GlennW

I recently ran a CL ad saying that I was available, and got two bites.

One reply was over 45 minutes away, so I declined.

The other was from a guitar player who has a line on some guys, and wanted to know if I was interested. He didn't provide any links, but I snooped around on the www a few minutes and found some, he can play very well.

A few emails later and we're on for Sunday, four of us, with five songs to have prepared. I think this is a first time gtg for all involved.
    Guitar
    Drummer
    Singer/harp dude
    Yours truly riding the red Bronco (aka the gear snob detector)

Stranger Blues - Elmo
    Messin' the Blues - Robin Trower
    Goin' Down Slow - Free
    Irene - Little Lester
    T-Bone Shuffle - T-Bone Walker

High on the fun side, low on the marketable side, but that's fine with me. It'll be a good time.

And just for blue:

2. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

Good luck! Sounds like fun... let us know how it went :)

3. GlennW

GlennW

4. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

Good luck man!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Blue got banned, baby. Have fun.

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Sounds cool, have fun with it!

8. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Have fun! Let us know how it went (sub'd).

9. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Again? What happened this time?

To the OP - best of luck, sounds like it will be a fun time. I miss playing blues (hehe, not playing the blues is giving me the blues ...)

10. modulusman

modulusman

Not sure but he must have really screwed the pooch since it has been about 3 months.

11. GlennW

GlennW

Thanks everybody.

12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Way cool, good luck and best wishes Glenn.

PS: I miss Blue’s post too. :(

13. GlennW

GlennW

It happened, less than what I was expecting, but it didn't suck.

There was an additional guitar player there who didn't have time to work on the stuff, but that was no big deal since the emailed youtube links of what we'd be doing seemed to be overlooked by everyone. I wasn't too crazy about learning arrangements only to have them disregarded. Kind of a "wing it" gtg.

It wasn't really an audition, because there's no band. Two of the guys are in other bands, and I don't think any two of them had played together before.

If they call me back I'll probably go, and if they don't that's fine too.

The best thing (for me) that came out of it was finding out that the under 40 pound Roland CB-100 WILL cut it in a jam/practice situation with a drummer. That's a good little grab and go amp. Sounds good, has enough volume, and is very transportable. Rides easily on the front seat.

Edit: Pedals
    GP #1 had a board
    GP #2 had 4
    HD (harp dude) had 3
    Bass had 0

14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Way cool Glenn, hopefully they’ll want to do it again and call. Please keep us updated. PS: My new little super tiny GK MB110 held its own in a trio jam (vocals, guitar, bass, drums) today too.

15. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

But you knew that going in, right? Certainly the impression I had from the original post; that one guy "has a line on" some other players. Score one that they all actually showed up. This is how you create a band. Nature of the beast. I would expect it to shake out over the next few weeks; at least one guy will say it's not for him, and then the rest of you will find yourselves being "the band" auditioning for a replacement, and so it goes...

16. GlennW

GlennW

Yes, I knew that it wasn't a band.

I think I'll be "at least one guy" who will do something else. I was sent youtube links to 5 songs. I think I was the ONLY one who bothered to try to learn the versions I was sent. The drummer said he didn't practice because he hurt his back, GP #2 didn't have time because he was called on short notice. Taht leave GP #1 and the singer.

Example:
    Stranger Blues
    Starts off with guitar only playing the rhythm riff in D, then the rest come in for two more bars of D, then the singing starts, 4 verses w/ vocals, 1 verse solo, 1 verse vocals, fade out on D.
    Before we start playing GP and singer are talking about 1 verse solo, 3 verses vocals, 2 verses solo, 2 verses vocals, etc.

It was like that on ALL of them. As a recent thread said, "I did my homework." I really doubt if anything develops from this, and I'm not impressed with how it went.

17. agreatheight

agreatheight

If they call you back, I would go again and see if you can't impart some direction. If not, you know it's not for you. If so, could be worthwhile,

18. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    The single best improvement to Talkbass since I've been here. :D

19. GlennW

GlennW

I was thinking the same thing at first, but it's been my experience that people rarely change. Keep in mind that the links I was sent were chosen by the guys who didn't bother to learn the arrangements. To me that's a major red flag, in spite of how good they are. If they can't take upon themselves to learn what they're sending out for other people to learn they can find another bass player. That might sound anal on my part, but I take the stuff seriously and expect the same from anyone I play with.

We played some stuff that wasn't on the list, and much of that sounded better than what we were supposed to have prepared.

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

I'm in a jam band that pretty much follows the same script. I take it for what it is and have lots of fun doing it. We rent a studio/backline every few monts and learn new tunes, even if they don't get played at the next rehearsal. And play others not even rehearsed before. The singer/guitarist knows a zillion tunes so that's how he rolls. And a good time is had by all!:bassist:

21. GlennW

GlennW

Update:
    I spoke with the drummer and will be going out there Wednesday night. This is a different deal, same drummer, GP #2 from before, another GP who the drummer said plays/sings/writes very well, and me.

This seems to be more of a Tom Petty type thing, which suits me fine.