Got My first DB today.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Thrillhouse, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

I've been playing bass guitar for about 15 years but this is my first venture into the world of DB. I picked it up from Michelle Fiore who I'm sure many of you in the Chicagoland area are familiar with. She was incredibly helpful and a real pleasure to do business with (not to mention she really knows her stuff about double bass).

The bass is a Shen SB80 strung with Obligatos. I'm digging it so far but am definitely going to be looking into a few lessons after the holidays are over to at least get my technique in order.

The pic sucks but its all I have for now.

Attached Files:

2. calypsocoral302

calypsocoral302

Not a bad choice at all! Best of luck in your new venture!
  3. Thrillhouse

Thanks. I did much research and Shen seemed to be the way to go considering my limited budget (I have also read nothing but praise for them).
  4. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Congrats! I'm not exactly a new entry into the DB world, but a relatively new re-entry after 15 years away, and I also went with a Shen. I'm very happy with my choice, and I am sure you will be for a good while.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Welcome to the Shen club! I've just finished a practice session with my new-to-me 6 month old SB88, originally from Upton. I've played EB for over 50 years, and am just loving the upright. And yes, I will also be having a few "proper" lessons on it.
  7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Congrats! I played a SB80 in Michelle's shop a few years ago, and was pleased with it, though I was looking for something else at the time.
  8. BrettBelanger

BrettBelanger

Congratulations and good choice! I started with an SB80 a few years ago and loved it, it makes a great first bass especially if well set up. I now have a Shen Sb 200 Willow 7/8 and it's also a great instrument.
  9. Thrillhouse

Thanks guys, looks like there is plenty of Shen love to go 'round on TB. I'm really digging the bass so far. I haven't touched my electrics since I got it and I'm in the middle of writing a bunch of new material for one of my bands. I sense quite a few acoustic songs in the near future...
  10. jake3

jake3 Guest

seems like a really good choice, and you won't regret it. I love playing bass guitar but playing double bass is just special. I agree that having at least some lessons is a good idea - the technique is really different from BG. The Shens are very nice from all I've seen and heard.
  11. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

I'm a noob with a Shen SB100, love this bass.

Like buttah...
  12. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Nice! As I live in the Chicago area I always recommend Michelle. She sets each bass up great and is a wonderful person to do business with.
  13. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member

Great choice of bass and I love Obligato strings. Enjoy your new instrument and good luck with the lessons. A few technique lessons from a good teacher is the best thing you could do and will really help you get started. I bet you will be transferring over a lot of the music you can play on bass guitar before you know it.

Welcome to the DB club :)