1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Got Rocksmith?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basscooker, May 15, 2012.

1. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    FFFFFFUUUUUUNNNNN!:bassist: Is there a bass expansion or full version yet????? therrrr should be. i can see this improving my skills within weeks. i totally suck on guitar (only partially suck on bass...) but in just three sessions of this game already feel way more comfortable on guitar than i ever have. there are moments where i get confused navigating within the game, but its a learning curve i guess. anyway i was going to ask about the bass version in the "instruction" section, but came to "misc" for fear of being flamed to death. are teachers in loathe of this game or no?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Nope, no bass version I looked into it.

I also spent some time with the game, and personally I don't think it will actually make you any better at the guitar than if you were to take the same amount of time and apply a proper GOOD practice regime. In fact, proper practice would probably produce much better results.

The only skill it really gives you is the ability to move your hand up and down the fretboard without really having to stare at it.

To each their own.

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

I have played it too and agree with this statement. Its a cool concept for a game just poorly done. It doesnt teach you what the notes are. Which is more important than being able to hold the frets down and play without looking.

4. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    I'll agree to disagree about it not being more effective, but that's with an asterik. i have tried and failed so many times just to get past the basics of learning some chords and switching between them, that i'm about to put it's teaching abilities to the test. lessons, dvd's, books, bandmates, youtube... none successful yet, so i may agree totally with you in my next post. i'm still screwing off with the single note arrangements just trying to play on those damn little strings all squished together :p how the hell does anybody play these frackin' things?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. klejst

klejst

I never got interested in it although it looks like it could be fun. A buddy of mine got a electric guitar for free and was looking into buying Rocksmith to teach him how to play.

7. Batmensch

Batmensch

Yes , ther will be bass content, recently announced at E3. Read the FAQ here: (bottom half of the page)
    http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-us/home/index.aspx
    And I have to disagree with other posters, it indeed is not the be-all and end-all for learning guitar and bass, but it is a good start and one of many tools and, IMO, an effective one, especially for rank beginners.

8. DarylW

DarylW Supporting Member

I hear the Bass Guitar DLC is officially out for XBox 360 now... anybody got it? early reviews? I'm intrigued and eager to hear if anyone finds it worth it.

9. Silence_

Silence_

A bass version? o: Sounds like fun, I'll Have to look into it :3

Edit: Looks like the DLC itself is avalible now, but it looks like a version that is just bass will be released on october 16th

10. Atoz

Atoz

Looks like it's available for the PS3 now. I think I'll download it tonight and mess around with it.

11. Illini10

Illini10 Supporting Member

I have Rocksmith and haven't been very impressed with it. Load times can be long, I don't like half the music selected, and I have a delay between hitting the note and hearing it in the game no matter what I do. I've wired it three different ways and I constantly have this delay. I'm selling it on craigslist for $25 if anyone is interested. lol

12. AQP

AQP

Yep the bass add in is available now for $30, Im downloading it as I type 1.2gb, it adds bass to all 70+ songs and bass training, etc should be good I was very impressed with the rock Smith with just guitar so this is a nice full fledged compliment to it where other companies would have made it a new purchase.

If your using hdmi your gonna get sync issues with music games especially this one which is going pure analog to digital, try to adjust your settings as close as possible.

13. Atoz

Atoz

I downloaded it tonight and messed with it a little. Looks potentially fun. Biggest issues at the moment are the latency, (which I can fix if I don't run sound through my TV and mess with the game settings), and the fact that the game starts you out like you don't know anything, and it has you play very sparse lines. That confuses me on songs I already know because I start playing the complete bass line and get dinged for it.

14. TheJohnNewton

TheJohnNewton

It's a good tool for practice but it does have some issues. The main ones are there is a bit of latency and the presentation of the music is game style rather than actual music notation or even tab.

To get past the game starting songs on an easy level with few notes you need to go to riff repeater where you can learn individual sections of the song. Here you can set the difficulty level all the way up (or any level you want) and if you can play it then the full song will play at that level for that section as well. There is also a speed control there. So I always go there first, set the difficulty to max and the speed pretty slow. Then after I learn the section I start upping the speed until I'm all the way up. I don't try to play the full song until I level all sections of the song to 100%.

15. LeoSash

LeoSash

I have it, I beat a good amount of songs easily, but honestly the whole tab reading thing doesn't really work for me. Been in the sheet music/pop chord world for too long to a point where i prefer it to tab. I don't really like too many of the songs either. Not saying its a bad game. However if i really wanted to learn a song, i'd do it by ear or if theres sheet music, then sheet music.

16. Batmensch

Batmensch

That shouldn't happen. The game will only ding you for incorrect notes, not additional notes (as long as they're the right notes) The thing is you have to play the notes they give you, if the ones you play don't match their arrangement (which might be different from the way you learned it,but is still correct), it will penalize you.

17. Batmensch

Batmensch

Well, the game is really directed at total beginners after all, and people like me, who, even though we've been at it a while, need to work on our skills because we never practice, and we get to learn songs and practice in a fun and relatively easy way. As far as liking the songs, I also don't necessarily like all of the songs, but I do feel they all have something to teach me. Besides, there are enough songs I do like to keep my interest up.

18. TheJohnNewton

TheJohnNewton

It's not even tab. I think it must have been inspired by prior music games like Rock Band. It's the worst part of the game in my opinion.

Still it's a fun easy way to get in some practice on a variety of song types with the full original recordings. It's probably not for you if you're more experienced, prefer to read music, or only like a certain type of music.

19. Batmensch

Batmensch

You can flip the strings upside down (Low E at the bottom) so it reads more like tab.

20. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

If the made a bass version, they would have my money.

21. pastorjamesc

pastorjamesc Cheap Ability, Expensive Taste Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Operator of Cotten Patch Sound Design. I do sound design, resetting, and education for churches, organizations, and small venues with no Sound personnel.
    I just bought the guitar/bass version. And I agree with just about everything said already. I'll add that right now I live in a place that's pretty isolated so it's nice to "practise" with the music and stuff. They did have a couple of songs that I like on the DLC list. What I like is that I can learn songs in the same way you might with a "song trainer". (BTW under riff repeater you can set the "mastery" level to whatever you want and its supposed to carry over to the whole song later.)

And granted it doesn't teach theory, notes or scales but then again I have a correspondent bass teacher for that.