Got some Verdine White mojo on me last night

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by corinpills, Jan 6, 2013.

1. corinpills

corinpills

I had a really good corporate gig in Hartford last night with my show band. It was at the Bushnell Theatre, which is a really nice old theatre complex and we've done this party for 8 years running. They always do concert act in the big theatre for about 1,000 people and then we play the afterparty in the smaller theatre which holds about 600 people, but they open up the whole area to dancing. Last year, Chris Botti was the concert and it was a Billy Joel tribute the year before, so you can imagine how intimidating it was to play AFTER Earth, Wind and Fire this year! Especially since we wouldn't be able to play any of their songs for a change.

I ran into Verdine by the dressing rooms and he could not have been sweeter. I was on guitar last night and mentioned that it was our bass player Tommy's birthday and that we are both big fans of his playing. he gave me a big hug (which must certainly be good for my bass playing, I would think) and he went out of his way to approach Tommy and say Happy Birthday, totally made his day (as you can imagine). We got to watch their soundcheck and some of their show from the side of the stage and got a nice photo with Verdine, Philip Bailey and Ralph Johnson. This is them flanking some of the fellas from my band.

Attached Files:

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Wow that is so cool incredible guys and a band that speaks for itself.

3. corinpills

corinpills

Kind of interesting that nobody cares about this on a bass forum. I've had dozens and dozens of non- musicians comment on how much they love EWF on my facebook page. Maybe they are a band that musicians don't care about, but "regular" people love or something? I always thought Verdine was universally respected by bass players. I may be showing my age, but his lines were "must knows' when I was growing up.

4. mcm

mcm

That's awesome!! Ewf rules

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Lindsey Basses - crafter of XBass cables
    I went to school BIG TIME on Verdine in the 70s! Awesome player - record or live.

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

haven't you heard,...

the guys on TB are too cool to hand out props, but they are quick to post their YT videos, ad nauseum, expecting rave reviews!:bag:

8. bassteban

bassteban

OK, I'm on my phone so maybe I'm missing something- who says no one cares? I care enough to cancel out everyone else's NOT caring. Was gonna say a hug from Verdine has GOT to make you better. There, I said it. :cool:

9. Joel Graham

Joel Graham I Brake for Basses! Supporting Member

Verdine is part of "The Schizzle Club" in my book!!

Anyone who has inspired me on his level is also in the "Club".

10. metermech

metermech SMOOVE ONE Supporting Member

Man that is so cool..I have seen so many EWF shows..I cut my teeth on that stuff and I will rock it right now whenever i get the chance..Glad you had such a wonderful experience.

11. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    What is there to say? He's awesome! Just because people aren't writing about it doesn't mean that they don't have total respect. After all, it's Verdine!

I hope you have seen this: http://www.thirteen.org/soul/january-10-1973/#.UOucKLZkLq4

The looks on the women's faces in the front row during Verdine's solo are priceless.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Have to see it to care ;)

Looks like you had a hot gig. But I'll never get why many corporate gigs always have the non-headlining band follow the headliner, especially when it's EWF. OTOH, I'm sure you had no problem rising to the occasion. Way to go!

13. shwashwa

shwashwa

thats awesome you met verdine, who played bass for ewf that night?
    (couldnt resist)

14. corinpills

corinpills

I didn't watch their whole set, but I only saw Verdine playing bass. Somebody else sound checked for him, and I was actually on the other side of a fairly wide stage from the bass, but I saw Verdine playing. They sure have the hits, but there were a lot of spacey jammy bits with sax solos, etc and the older fellas would be off stage, resting . And then, boom, on 10 with one if their giant hits and Verdine dancing like a maniac.

15. Smart guy

Smart guy

The man has style and chops for days. He gets crazy respect. Holding down the worlds best stage band (back in the day) effortlessly. EWF for those of us old enough to remember was a band of serious and I do mean serious musicians. Pick out any one of them, any and they can surely blow anyone away with their chops and playing styles. Mr. White of course has more style than most.

16. steubig

steubig Supporting Member

verdine is, strangely, under-appreciated, imho. there's a lot of guys who get more love, but damn the man could play.

i just went on a big ewf and emotions (the albs with the ewf band backing them) tear over the last few weeks.

that core of him, al mckay, freddie white and larry dunn is beyond stunning.

that almost enough love?

17. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

18. moosebass

moosebass

Very cool to get the love from Verdine!

Thanks for this link!!! :hyper: