Got the practice aspect down: now to join a band...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Jan 11, 2014.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I'm sort of tired of church worship bands. I don't even get to play bass anymore which is stupid.
    Nearly all of the other members are just doing it because they have to.

What's a good way to jam with people to some secular music like Rush, Yes, heck, even some Blink? Anything to get those fingers moving and creativity juices flowing. My skills aren't getting any better from being in a worship band.

Some people told me Craigslist but my brother advised against it because they generally tend to be like 40+ year olds with nothing to do after working their 8-4 jobs and stuff...and I'm 21...so...

And the friends I do know who do play instruments are either in a band already (well-established) or don't want to jam at all.

Lame.
    It's almost making me want to give up bass completely. Why play the instrument if you can't apply the knowledge in a band setting, where the bass guitar is most suited in?

2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Be more open-minded about age and you'll get more opportunities. Especially if you're so intent on playing the music of the 40+ generation.

3. obimark

obimark

I think you don't need to practice anymore at 21, you can play it all man!!

4. NeverIsNow

NeverIsNow

Do you go to college? Maybe you could jam with some colleagues that play an instrument

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. M0ses

M0ses

Hit up some open jams to meet people.

7. sm49341

sm49341

Try an old school flyer on the bboard at a few music stores. And see if anyone in it worship group is interested. Their attitude could be different w some new music. No reason why you or they couldn't be in the worship band and your new group at the same time.

8. 5StringFool

5StringFool Supporting Member

We have several well established, and very good, bands in my area that have members ranging from their 20's to 50's within the band. I agree that you should be more open minded about the age thing and start hitting up the musician's classifieds. You could also make up your own ad stating that you are an available bass player. Bandmix.com is a good site for doing just that.

9. kevteop

kevteop

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard anyone use the phrase 'secular music'. Everyone over here just calls it 'music'.

I suppose in the 1950s it may have been different.

10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Just quit already - and take up knitting. :D

11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    So ... What?

You couldn't possibly learn something from someone who has been playing longer than you have been alive?

Besides, your brother doesn't know what he's talking about. There are plenty of band with people just as young and inexperienced as you. :D

12. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

I'd personally avoid CraigsList like the plague. Have you posted on the bulletin board at your local music store? A store that gives lessons ought to have lots of regular customers that want to start a band.

Also, consider song writing. It's another way to use your musical talents.

Back to your church gig, have you asked other players if they want to play with you "outside" of the church? All the musicians my age, at my church, have very similar musical interests. They would all jump at the chance to play more and play other genres.

13. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

First answer: took down my Craigslist ad. Never looked into posting an ad at my local music store.....I'll definitely look into that.

Second: I did write a song but it turned out really bad. And it was written on a bass I much prefer to experiment on a guitar which to me helps me expand my note range with the additional B and E strings.

Third: well that's what I implied but we all have different tastes in music. Sadly the vocalists are into the modern mainstream crap you hear on the radio so I count them out. I do know an elec guitarist who really loves rock music such as Eric Clapton jimi Hendrix muse, and the like. No Rush since she finds it super complicated (as if!!!!) I suggested to her jamming to Hysteria by muse since she was the one who suggested it to me to learn the bassline. She also recommended a ton of RATM songs but I really don't like Tom morello. She said she might be willing to give limelight a try though.
    Mind you though, she's 17 and I'm 20 so I guess the other reason why she kinda hesitates is the age gap...church politics...gah

Everyone else is just there. Ether too young to hang around or completely not interested in playing outside church material since that's all they know how to play. Is it even possible to pick up an instrument without having been influenced by some famous artist????

14. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

write a different song.

It might take a while to find a Neil and Alex, so why not play some RATM and have some fun while you wait for the stars to align.

Plus don't tell Tom Morello and he might not show up.

15. Lobomov

Lobomov

Listening to music and playing music are two different things .. I'd keep an open mind and play, what is offered in your situation. Have fun with your guitarist friend if she is game for it and throw in some of your own stuff to match her RATM.

And honestly ... I'm 40+ .. and even I find some of the material you mention old and worn out. Tho it is great study material :)

I'm saying be fun and flexible ... you're young and so outside your bedroom, you really shouldn't hang on to strongly to what is the music of my youth (and some of it actually the music of my dads youth)

16. basslifter

basslifter

You want to play old music but you don't want to play it with old dudes?
    Seriously though, it's good to branch out. I left a church gig and do rock and now latin jazz. I dig 'em both for different reasons.

17. mboogiemanusa

mboogiemanusa

Bass players are always in demand so should not be an issue to find some buds to jam with. Don't poo poo Craigslist.... just mention your age in your ads or respond to ads for bands looking for players in their age group. Guys in their 40s are not going to be that interested in jamming with a 21 year old newbie anyway and vice versa. Also now that you are 21 ......go find a local open mic at the neighborhood music pub and start sitting in. Good way to learn songs on the spot and get your blues chops.

18. CJAZ

CJAZ

So here are a few of good things about the 40+ year-olds.

1. Have their own gear and it works.
    2. Have jobs so they actually can afford good gear.
    3. Might help you get a job so you can get good gear.
    4. Have been around the block and can teach you a thing or two.
    5. Won't miss practice because mom or girlfriend wouldn't give him a ride or his 1995 POS is broke down again.
    6. Might help you get a better job so you can upgrade your 1995 POS.
    7. Knows people with grown-up jobs which equals gigs.
    8. More likely to have connections to venues which equals gigs.
    9. Are not usually seen at the local GC trying to convince mom or girlfriend that they really need that gear and will pay them back if they would buy it on their credit card.

I could go on and but I think you get the point. Don't overlook us old guys.

19. rocksmoot

rocksmoot

Young bluesmen used to get good by playing with old bluesmen. Just sayin.

20. CJAZ

CJAZ

I think they called it secular music in Footloose. :hyper:

21. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    I have had nothing but good results with craigslist in the past. I would try all avenues available to you.