Gotoh EB-0 replacement pickup - anybody here ever use one?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jun 9, 2012.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Has anybody here ever used a Gotoh EB-0 replacement pickup? What do/did you think of it?
  2. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    There are a couple of other threads out there with a lot of info on the alternatives. I have used what I think is the Artec (economy pickups from Bass Parts Resource).

It sounds good but I would probably try the Gotoh next time or maybe the Dimarzio Model One or Willpower.

To me these pickups are a great enhancement (like a bass booster) on a J or P but standalone make for a not very versatile bass.

[​IMG]
  3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

If I buy one I'd be installing it in my G&L L2000 Tribute. Honestly, this bass doesn't need bass boosting, but I sure do like the vintage woofy sound you can get out of these pickups! You think the Gotoh one is well made and should sound good?
  4. hachi kid

hachi kid

I installed one in my Ibanez before I put my Warmoth together. the strings don't quite line up with the pole pieces causing the outside strings to be a bit less powerful than they should.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Doner Designs

Disclosures:
    I have not tried it yet but would not hesitate to. I'll put my money where my mouth is: They sell for $50. I'll give you $40 for it (shipped) if you try it and don't like it.

I don't need one but would not mind checking it out for future projects.

If you don't like it, you can always swap it out for a Willpower, or David at SGD Lutherie could make you one - he is something of an expert with sidewinders.

If it were me, I'd put in in a Fender (or clone) so that you can put a new PG on to cover the hole if you have a change of heart.
  7. Doner Designs

Disclosures:
    How many magnets are on each side? I just recieved one and it seems to be missing the bottom magnets on both sides. Is that the design or is it defective?

Thanks!
  8. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

The original Gibson and the replacement Artec pickup both have a total of four magnets. Not sure how Gotoh makes them. You might want to contact the seller or Gotoh themselves.
  9. Doner Designs

Disclosures:
    In process but no answer so far. Was hoping someone here would know. Some on google images look like they may omit the lower magnets but its hard to tell in most of the pics.
  10. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

Honestly, if I were looking at EB style pickups, the only one I'd be looking at is the Curtis Novak one. It's a dead on replica.
  11. Doner Designs

Disclosures:

Looks nice, but the lower end versions suit my needs which is to add some depth and variety on a P or J bass. I dig the look too.

After wiring it up in the bass and testing, I think the one magnet per side may be the way the gotoh was designed rather than a defect. It sounds pretty good but slightly less output and boom vs the Artec I have on my J.

It's actually a more balanced and usable tone on its own but maybe not as good for my application which is basically a passive bass booster.

Still need to finish wiring it up for a thorough test.
  12. Doner Designs

Disclosures:
    Update - the Gotoh sounds good but is a little tame compared to the Artec. That can be good or bad depending on what you are after. Its a more refined and usable sound. I conclude the single magnet per side must be the way they are designed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Doner Designs

Disclosures:
    We finally got around to recording sound clips of our triple pickup Air Force Bass.
  14. Doner Designs

Disclosures:
  15. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

BotW! Awesome! I do really like your stuff. :)
  16. Villanova

Villanova

Interested in buying an excellent condition Model One?

I'm parting out my EB-0, haha.
  17. Doner Designs

Disclosures:
    Thanks. Say, is that an 8 string in your avatar? What kind? Love that sound. Got a POG recently, but it aint the same.