Gotoh Res-O-Lite GB640 tuners direct fit for Marcus Miller Jazz?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by birdie num nums, Mar 8, 2014.

1. birdie num nums

birdie num nums Supporting Member

Hi folks.
    Can I install the Gotoh res-o-lites on a Fender Marcus Miller without drilling new holes? Does anyone have experience with this? The measurements seemed like a perfect match to me but... You know... I wanted to ask if I miss something.
    Thanks.

2. Grissle

Grissle

They'll work but the screw holes will be different. The 640 series are the pre-CBS spec. You want the later (or 70's) type. And I'm not sure the make them anymore?

3. elBandito

elBandito

Straight bolt on. Marcus Miller sig comes with reverse wind tuners stock.

4. Grissle

Grissle

Good news then. I thought the MM basses had the typical '68-'82 type of tuners.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

They do. The GB640's are not a direct bolt on AFAIK.

Hipshot HB-2's would be a direct replacement, but not as light as the res-o-lites.

7. birdie num nums

Thanks for the replies so far. I searched the forum and found out that the Hipshot HB3's are the direct fit tuners for the Marcus Miller Jazz. And yes, bassgod0dmw, you are right, HB3's are not lightweight either(85 gr.-3 oz. including screws and bushing). OTOH Gotoh's are advertised as 67 gr. and we don't know if that includes screws and bushing. If it's not, than they are close weightwise. I checked the schematic of HB3's and the measurements are almost the same as the Gotoh's. So, El Bandito could be right.
    I don't know, I haven't decided yet. If order a set of those or these I'll let everybody know how the experiment ends. But until then(a few days more) any suggestions are welcome...

Ps: Grissle, I see a Jaguar at your avatar. One of the most underrated Fenders IMO.

8. elBandito

elBandito

They are both modeled after the kluson reverse tuners. Difference is negligible. I dont think you need to drill new holes for .1mm difference.
    FWIW, my hb3 weighs 85g each without bushings and screws.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Grissle

Grissle

Ok I just looked up the specs on the MM and it says vintage type aka pre-CBS. So the Gotoh 640 will work
    [​IMG]
    The shapes are a little different but the holes should be a pretty good match.

10. elBandito

elBandito

Those look like 70s trapezoid tuners. Did they change on the MIM marcus? CIJ ones were reverse wind.

11. Grissle

Grissle

You know that may be be the cause of all the confusion. They are the trapezoid's to my eyes but the specs say vintage?

12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

That's actually the picture I was referencing when I said Hipshot HB-2's would be a drop in replacement...

13. birdie num nums

Ok. folks... I ordered a set of res-o-lites today. When it arrives I'll let you know the results. Thanks a lot...

14. bigdavid

bigdavid

I'm curious how the res-o-lites worked out. I am thinking of doing the same mod.