1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gotta love when the youngin's love your music....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Ubersheist, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

I'm talkin' the pre-10 year olds. I love when you're playing at some public event like at a festival or at someone's barbecue, and the kids are digging the band.

I was reminded recently of how a friend's kid thought that some girl named Estelle had stolen our song "American Boy," and it was playing on the radio. He was mad because she stole it and he liked how we played it better! Mind you, he was six years old, but it was still cool to hear.

A singer that we worked with alot said that she had to explain that Rebelution's "Safe and Sound" was not our band's song that he heard on the radio, and that our band just had 'covered' the song. He just replied with "No, that's Ubersheist's band on the radio." Silly kid...

- I was noodling around with an envelope filter at a local store, and an 8-ish year old girl kind of sheepishly and shyly said "you're really good." That kid totally made my day. Still melts my soft heart when I think of it...

Y'all have got to have some stories like these. Whadda ya got?
  2. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

I know the feeling...turned my 8-year-old into a big RHCP fan a year ago.
  3. mixtapelove

mixtapelove

My 3 year-old gets it. If "Rio" or "Walk Like an Egyptian" comes on somewhere, he immediately recognizes it and says "daddy plays this on bass-tar!"
  4. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Nice. Makes me want to have a kid! Any TBers have a loose-moralled sister with low self esteem? My ex lifted the restraining order, and I don't think I'm infected anymore, so I'm good to go! Any takers?
  5. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    My daughter was a big Lenny Kravitz fan when she was about 4...
  6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

when my oldest son was three, he looked into my practice room once and yelled, "TURN IT UP, POPPY"! i would crack-up watching him bounce to the rhythm. he's 27 now and still likes to dance around when i hit something infectous, lol. :)

if you notice, little kids and old folks love to dance!
  7. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

I think there's a loss of inhibition as you age. There's none when you're born, and it's only after you're in your 40 or so where you end up caring less about how people think about you in general, and more specifically how goofy you look on the dance floor. While I think the stereo-type of the elderly, crabby prude does exist in real life, often the inhibition/prudiness decreases as people age.
  8. tmdazed

tmdazed

My son actually picked the guitar up because he was around the bands I was in , my daughter has recently tapped a singing talent she didn't know she had as well.

Actually Sunday was pretty funny as well , we used to play a LOT of youth association dances back in the 80's and signed a lot of autographs for kids at the end of the shows, well Sunday I was grocery shopping at a Walmart super center and got a tap on the shoulder. I turned to see who it was and a very large fellow asked if I was from the town where I grew up ( I have lived 500 miles west of there for the last 20 years). I was wondering . oh hell , did I "Know" this guys sister or something, well I answered yes half expecting a punch in the head, he asked if I was a member of one of my old bands , I said yeah MANY years ago.

Turns out this guy was 12 when he first saw us and followed us until we hung it up in 89, he was so excited to meet me again and told me he STILL has a few shards of my old T-Shirts that used to get torn off my back about half way through every show that I autographed for him ( it was kind of my thing , I would hop down into the crowd and solo, after the first time when my shirt got torn to shreds , I started wearing cutaway t-shirts with the band logo on it so when the hardcore followers ripped it to shreds it didn't hurt as much).

it really made my weekend to get bear hugged by a rather large man (not much i could do , I am 5'9 only) and get recognized almost 25 years after the fact for music I had played, even if it was just cheese-ball 80's metal.
  9. Illini10

Illini10

My 3-year-old son has Down syndrome. He loves to sit on my lap and watch videos on YouTube. He loves Elvis, the Beatles, Billy Joel, Black Sabbath, Primus, Rush and many others. He'll come into the room where I'm practicing guitar or bass and I have to pull out the cheap electric guitar I bought for the boys and plug it in so he can "jam" with me. He doesn't say too many words but I'm happy to report that "dadda" and "guitar" are in his vocabulary. We're still working on "bass."
  10. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

My kids, especially my youngest, digs the stuff that I play. If a song comes on the radio that my band covers, she gets all excited and says, "Daddy, your band plays that song!!"
  11. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Supporting Member

Labor Day weekend 2011, my prior band played a gig at a neighborhood pool - lots of younger parents and a broad range of ages of kids. Our female singer was a teacher in "real life" and was great with the kids. She was passing out percussion stuff to this swarm of mostly little girls (about 3 - 8 years old or so) who were just getting into our classic rock big time. You could tell all the little girls looked up to her as a "star" and were loving being able to participate with us. Especially the littlest kids were just grooving hard.

That was probably one of the funnest gigs I played with that band.
  12. guitar ed

guitar ed

My daughter and I have been singing in the car on the way to school for several years now. It runs the gamut from Johnny Cash to Frank & Dino, from George Strait to The Grateful Dead. She is huge fan of Elvis and the Beach Boys. We have lots of fun doing this.

edg
  13. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Greetings from the North,

It's absolutely the BEST! Kids and music! :bassist:

Happy Times,

Rezdog
  14. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

I still remember about 15 years ago, my son (who was just turning 3 at the time) was in daycare. One of the aides was trying to lead him back inside and said, "Take my hand..." whereupon he launches into "E X I T LIGHT - E N TER NIGHT -TAKE MY HAND - OFF TO NEVER NEVER LAND!" at the top of his lungs. Laughing, she said, "Oh, you like Metallica?" He say's "Who's that?" She explained it was the people who made that song and he say's, "Nuh uh...that's my DAD." :D Oh, if only that were true! But I was still proud of him. Still am...:)
  15. MissTheTrain

MissTheTrain

My 3 year old daughter says ever time we get into the car "I want to hear daddy's music", referring to our demo that's usually in the disc changer. Nothing better than that and always makes my day. Even if I'm not in the car she makes my wife put it on. Needles to say my wife is getting pretty wore out on it and is ready for us to record some new stuff so she don't have to listen to the same 8 songs over and over again.
  16. the wako kid

the wako kid

you might want to correct your spelling mistake,I really hope your wife isn't doing what I you say she is.

as a kid,I was into all the heavy popular music that was coming out in the 90s and early 2000s(I'm 17 now) so I used to walk around singing rob zombie and soundgarden.I was all about nu-metal and such and was more familiar with system of a down at eight years old than my mom,who was the one actually buying the cds. I bought my first cd player at seven,and I was headbanging with the best of them by ten. I discovered iron maiden at 13 and took up bass as soon as I could afford one,which was at 14.

I do enjoy when small children complement me on my playing,it means more than an adult almost,mainly because kids are usually very open and honest about their opinions.
  17. MissTheTrain

MissTheTrain

Woops. Thanks Wako. Do you post on Volnation? Seems like I have seen your name somewhere else....
  18. Old Fart

Old Fart

I've always like playing weddings, for one reason. The kids. They're the first on the dance floor.
  19. tgriley62

tgriley62

I have been playing for almost 3 years now & my 11 year old granddaughter wanted her own bass so last Christmas she got an SX short scale. We "jam" when we can. She has shown an interest in music & now that she is in jr high she is learning the clarinet. And as an 11 year old girl her favorite group: Def Leppard
  20. Wesley R

Wesley R

My Grandson used to walk into a room, stroll up to the center, slowly look up and say "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash", then start singing Ring of Fire.