Graham Central Station

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Leftybass12, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Hello everyone, I'm very into slap and pop technique. I've got the basics down of the technique, but I would like to enrich myself more with this, but also listen to some good recordings of guys using this technique. I've listened to a few good Graham Central Station tunes, but if you guys and gals could help refer me to some fantastic albums by that band I would be very thankful!

2. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Larry Graham Is a woefully under-rated player. And yes, in addition to playing for Sly and the Family Sone, he is widely credited for inventing the slap technique. But if you want slap/thumb, check out Marcus Miller.

3. JimK

JimK

Never heard Graham called "woefully under-rated"....he is at the top of every list of great Funk bassists...

Stanley Clarke's "Lopsy Lu" (& Silly Putty") for a primer into the Open-Hammer Pluck technique, muted pops, flams, etc-
    "Lopsy Lu"

4. Da Bassics

Da Bassics

buy mirror man buy all larrys stuff man and his family stone stuff also

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Da Bassics

Da Bassics

it doesnt matter what list hes on hes still disgustingly underrated for the simple fact he revolutionized music. and his playing period isnt given enough study and praise

7. bearhart74

bearhart74

Buddy Hankerson
    Louis Johnson
    Marcus Miller
    Woicheck Pilichowsky(sp)
    Alain Caron

8. JimK

JimK

Disagree...so many people/players cite Graham as one of the earliest & best pioneers of Funk.
    On the other hand...Jamerson, for the longest while, was overlooked.

9. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Jerry Jemmott is the most underrated and unsung player. Sorry, back to the slap and pop content.

Get the book Slap It by Tony Oppenheimer. Go through, rinse and repeat many times.

10. BuffaloBass

BuffaloBass Supporting Member

Wait, I thought the OP asked about GCC albmus, and y'all are off on some wild goose hunt.

Here's something UNDERRATED, I went to iTunes just last week and picked up a GCC album after sampling a few. That's what I would do. Cant remember the name of the album, but I didnt find any duds among them.

Your own research - it's underrated! ( not bustin' on ya Lefty - more bustin' on all the unsolicited advice.... )

11. JimK

JimK

Unsolicited advice?!?! Moi? Maybe I misread "guys" as more than Graham. As usual, I am usually wrong.
    :)

I thought about it on the way home-
    Graham is underappreciated.

For GCS albums? The early ones...the 1st of which still has a heavy Sly & The Family Stone vibe.
    http://www.amazon.com/Graham-Centra...596939&sr=1-1&keywords=graham central station

Release Yourself is also good-
    http://www.amazon.com/Release-Yourself-Graham-Central-Station/dp/B000002KFF/ref=pd_sim_m_3

...Best Of Larry Graham & GCS-
    http://www.amazon.com/Best-Larry-Gr...keywords=graham central station greatest hits