1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Grain Filler question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Precision345, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Precision345

Precision345

Hi,

I recently removed the paint and sanded down my peavey zodiac and I need to fill some spots on the back and front and level it out a bit. I was wondering what grain filler would be good to use and where to purchase it?

Any help would be appreciated! thankss

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

Are you planning to do a "stain-grade" finish, or paint?

What kind of wood is your bass made of?

3. Precision345

Precision345

Paint. I believe its alder

4. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

if it was me doing the work i would use something like this: http://www.levineautoparts.com/icing.html or this: http://www.levineautoparts.com/spotlite.html because i come from the bodyshop trades. but it would be pricey for a single use.
    if the damage is deep i might go with one of the two part epoxy repairs that come in a double syringe at lowes or any hardware store.
    if the damage is shallow just rough it up a little and use any name brand wood putty.
    whatever you decide on plan on more than one coat and give the repair plenty of dry/cure time.

the links i posted are to a site that i have never bought from so use it as a reference only. even amazon should offer a similar product.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jazzdogg

7. Precision345

Precision345

8. Jazzdogg

It should be OK for small defects. But, it is a water-borne filler, and will remain softer, and be more prone to shrinking and cracking than the ones mentioned above.

When in doubt, it is always worthwhile to conduct a limited test before using a new product; if the test goes well, proceed; if not, your project won't have suffered, and a lot of time will have been saved.

If I recall correctly, there's a section on putties in the sanded-in oil finish tutorial, below.

9. Precision345

Precision345

I used it and it seems okay. It's pretty dry and cracky already but I'm going to sand over it to make it flush with the surrounding grain before I continue to primer. Thank you for all your help thus far