Grammys Mumford & Sons... Sideways Ampeg 810

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Hows that horizontal dispersion? ha ha... not to mention tweaking your tone for your knees to be COMPLETELY different than what the crowd hears

Just kinda amazing how the industry is so slow to change.

But it looks cool eh? Dont we know better than that by now? Sure hes going through the house so its probably inconsequential but someone out there follows the monkey see, monkey do
  2. rodl2005

rodl2005

They ain't my cup of tea by a long shot! :thumbdown:
  3. chump stain

chump stain

Not impressed.

By any of the acts so far.
  4. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS Supporting Member

Considering that he's running IEM how he has his 8x10 mixed doesn't matter. To how he hears or what the audience hears. He probably couldn't have it up because of the lights behind him either.
  5. deeptubes

deeptubes

Haven't watched the Grammys in 25 years.
  6. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

would you be happier if he used a 410? Don't really understand what your saying......
  7. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

Well right now I'm listening to the Vandals and I have to say... my 810 is staying straight up and down. But I'm sure there's a reason they're doing it that way. I recall Slowdive used some live techniques that involved driving the bass at the floor.
  8. Tunaman

Here you go man

Speaker physics from Barefaced
  9. chuck3

chuck3

I think he's saying that it was all for show - that no one would actually play an 8 x 10 laid down sideways.

But that it didn't matter sonically, just visually, because it was all going through the FOH anyway.
  10. seamonkey

seamonkey

it'sjust a backline the pulled out of backstage storage and the lighting guys and photographers said cut out down.
  11. timmerz

timmerz

I remember seeing Los Lonely Boys live a few years back, and bassist brother had two SWR Megoliaths laid on top of each other sideways...as has been said here, he was running 100% through the FOH, so it was pure show, and definitely caught my attention as being something different...he's a mean bassist, by the way...
  12. redhed

Probably true.........
  13. Tunaman

I'm just glad that the tide is turning & we are becoming more informed as a TB community why thats not for the regular guy

Cheers!
  14. BassSurfer

BassSurfer Supporting Member

Likewise.
  15. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Michael Steele of the Bangles often used an SVT cab on its side dating back to the 80's. The mic'ed cab was about the same height as the other amps on the stage. Other bands have done this as well.

[​IMG]
  16. Dave the Bass

Dave the Bass

I play in a worship band in a large church and our SVT cab spends a lot more time on its side than standing up......but the volume isn't earthshaking and we are on IEM.
  17. redhed

Actually I use mine the regular way.

Attached Files:

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No pansy Grammy director would ever tell my Grammy nominated band that we'd have to set their gear a certain way for the camera, and neither would Mumford or his sons. The idea of that is ludicrous.

But I really don't care if someone sets their 810 on its side. Whatever.
  19. kai_ski

kai_ski Supporting Member

People play their 810s and 215s like that every day. NO different than a 115 or 410, except louder. At the Grammys it's probably more of a prop than anything.
  20. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Sorry but that's BS. Just like every other aspect of the music industry, you stand where they tell you to stand, you play what they tell you to play, and you cut your hair like they tell you to cut your hair. That is, unless of course you are really a big shot. But if you are the bass player for just some band who happened to be popular enough this year to be on that stage, you will put your rig however they tell you to. If you're Sting, you tell them where to stick it. If you are (insert name of bass player nobody knows here) you say "Yes sir".