1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Grammys relying too much on older stars?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by powderfinger, Jan 27, 2014.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

So this is NOT a post about the quality of new music. It's a case of me watching the Grammys last night, and realizing that they were really drawing heavily upon the older musicians from previous generations.

Now, I enjoyed Pink. I think John Legend is fantastic. This is no knock on these guys, but was just wondering... is there enough contemporary star power to carry a show like this?

Think about it... LL Cool J hosted. Appearances were made by Smokey Robinson, Queen Latifa, Ozzy, and Julia Roberts. Featured performers included Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Metallica, Stevie Wonder, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Lindsey Buckingham, Kris Kristoferson, etc.

So yeah.. when folks are all gone.. what then? Does the Grammys need the old school?
  2. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Maybe its just me but did anyone else notice how much better the older generation of musicians were than the new crop, honest to god I gave 'em a shot but ultimatly had to turn on the mute, insipid and just plain bad is all I can say about most of it.
  3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

I noticed that too.

Wille Nelson was awful in my opinion.
  4. powderfinger

powderfinger

Ok... I wanted to say that too, but didnt wanna come across as "bashing new music". But yeah.... without the old folks, this show would have sucked.
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Real songwriting and competent musicianship are no longer required to obtain a Grammy! They mean nothing these days! Grammys should be given to artists who write and perform 'timeless' music. Most of that current crap will be forgotten in a few years! Did you see how the audience reacted to Chicago?!
  6. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I was actually really excited to see Willie and Merle but I was disappointed by that whole segment. It looked unorganized and the guys looked confused as to whose turn it was to sing and where they should be. I was looking forward to Metallica as well but the "mash up" with the pianist just didn't do it for me. I didn't care for the "mix" at all and it just sounded a little too fake for me. I'm honestly not a Stevie Wonder fan by any means so I could have done without that part, but there are obviously people who like his music but it just didn't do it for me. I thought the best segment of the whole show was Chicago with Robin Thicke. I admit that I'm not a fan of Chicago's brand of music but their band is tight, vocals were good, they had a good mix with Robin Thicke and they just sounded spot-on to me and by far the best performance of the night for me.
  7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Chicago was one of, if not the best group of musicians on stage last night. Real musicians, real songs, performed (almost for sure) without tracks, weird outfits or gimmicks. I'm not sure how many "artists" or "songs" you saw and heard last night will have staying power like that.
  8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Yep, but Robin Thicke got in the way. He sucked really.
  9. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I enjoyed Lorde and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis performances. Both have a ton of talent and really staying power.

lowsound
  10. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Don't be ludicrous Supporting Member

LOL

You guys watched the Grammys.

[/hipster]
  11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Before the disco invasion music was really good on the whole. You could go to the music store and buy an album and it was rare you got a complete stinker, then disco started showing up and just kept getting bigger until you would be lucky to buy an album you didn't want to destroy unless you already knew what you were getting.

Point being music is cyclical, or has been for as long as I've been old enough to remember, I was out of the country for most of the disco infection but music was still in it's recovery phase when I first got back. It was not until I heard "Sultans of Swing" that I had any interest in any new music and then like opening the floodgates a fresh wave of really good new music started hitting.

There was also the period when it was all about MIDI. I attended a show featuring an up and coming new country artist and his steel player was MIDI'd up and imitated a B3 on a Leslie with his shobud. I even read an article where the author was wondering aloud if "real" instruments might soon become so obsolete they would no longer be mass made due to lack of demand. Then "Couldn't Stand the Weather" cracked the charts and another wave of really good new music began to flow.

I don't keep up with any current mainstream stuff because it is by and large so pedestrian and so generic as to be instantly forgettable so I can never remember what to look for when I'm on ITunes.

Hopefully we are on the cusp of the next wave of really good new music. I'm more than ready for it.
  12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Not me, but I never do so not watching this year was normal for me.
  13. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Lets face it the grammy's are a big "show", a production by an industry that quite frankly has not much to show for itself but has the clout to be on primetime in a pathetic attempt to convince the masses that they're still relevant. Well in my opinion when the old guard are finally gone, good music will die with them and all you'll be left with is some of what we saw last night, not a pretty picture is it ?
  14. Rocker949

Rocker949

+1!!!!!!!!!
  15. Rocker949

Rocker949

I watched part of it because relatives were over who wanted to watch it. One much younger relative provided some insightful commentary. I was surprised she also didn't like some of the artists I didn't like. Normally, though, I wouldn't watch the Grammys. Like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thing, all of this stuff has become a joke, IMO.
  16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Wasn't a fan of his vocal style but I'll take that over the rest of the crap that was performed! The Get Lucky segment was good too though they coulda left Stevie Wonder out of it.
  17. Richland123

Richland123

My thoughts exactly.

The members of Chicago are consummate tight professional musicians. Robin Thicke over sings off key, stepped all over the songs, and since he can't do much, he kept yelling yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

The Beyoncé/Jay-Z and some of the other debacle performances were awful.

However, the Carole King and Sara Barielles duet was good.
  18. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

The following true story is related to the Grammy's but not much more. A behind the scenes look if you will.

In 1999-2001 I worked for MTV in LA providing support for the Grammy's and VMA's.

In 2000 or 2001 (not sure) Metallica performed. It was at Sony Studios. My job that year was driving golf carts shuttling the talent back and forth from the press tent to the stage. After performing, Metallica got in my 6 person cart and off we went. Now I grew up as a skater punk in the 80's listening to Kill em All non stop. This was the only time I have been truly star struck. I turned around to look at them, and James says to me, "Keep your eyes on the road". So I'm driving along and Kirk says out of nowhere, "You know what, Halle Berry is so hot. They should just have a charity event where everyone lines up and *$%#$ her mouth." Laughter ensues.

Still, I don't know where my mind was, and I got lost driving around the maze of the massive Sony Studios lot. James asked me where we were going, and I lied of course and told him it would just be a minute. Then the golf cart ran out of batteries, and so I, single handedly, stranded Metallica, lost somewhere in the Sony Studios lot. We just abandoned the cart and tried to find our way back.
  19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I caught some of it when my wife and Daughter were watching it. It was some of the worse live music we have ever heard, That whole Image Dragon's /rapper mess. What was left of Willie and the Watchman, Metallica..all of it. It was painful to watch even on a cold night with nothing to do. The old guys I loved even suked.
  20. buzzbass

buzzbass

I think it was a sin that after all these years they finally trotted out Black Sabbath, and they won nothing. Also, as much of a 'tallica fan as I am, that thing with the piano was a total cluster-F. The symphony thing worked great, saw the show @ MSG. What happened last night was the total opposite....what a mess :rollno::scowl::spit:

I did think it was funny when the censors tried to bleep the "s" word in One, and totally missed the que.