1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Grandpa car??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

I was talking with my 20 YO son tonight about cars and hipster stuff and when I suggested my car may be in hipster territory he said I had a granpda var. GRANDPA car?? Oh well, no real shame in that I guess since I'm grandpa age. No harm done, I still love my car, he likes it a lot and it was an honest evaluation on his part But it did surprise me a bit. Now I'm curious to see the opinions of any of our members who would care to share.

Based on looks alone, what do you think - hip or gramps? Or whatever comes to mind. No wrong answers here, I'm just interested in seeing what you guys and gals think. And if you happen to be an actual hipster qualified to categorize what is or is not hip, please be sure to mention that fact ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

That car is tits! I'd rock it being 34. Not young, but not grandpa age either.

P.S. Hipsters aren't supposed to know they are hipsters, so good luck trying to find one that admits they are one :p
  3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Neither, it's just awesome! I'm 18 and would love to have something that nice to drive.

Hipsters drive Priuses. Men drive real cars, like your car.
  4. hbarcat

hbarcat Gold Supporting Member

Cars like that are universally admired by all ages. Either your 20 yr old son is pulling your leg or he is very odd.
  5. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

40 yo. car/MC enthusiast here, so my view is highly biased ;).

I wouldn't dream of anyone calling a pony car with a stance neither hip nor gramps regardless of what's under the hood.

I'd call it bad-455 and/or cool.

^This.

If I was You, I'd hope that it's the former though, IMO very odd wouldn't even begin to describe him if it isn't.

OTOH, it is definitely a gas-guzzler compared with anything he can imagine driving, so perhaps that has something to do with it.
    Only the gramps have the money, dedication and knowledge to keep something like that on the road.
    In that case it was a compliment.
    A weird one at that, but a compliment never the less.

Regards
    Sam
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's cool enough. That's something Barry Weiss would drive around.
  7. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

21 year old here... Yes, it is a grandpa car. The biggest reason I say that is all of the chrome trim. Chrome is good, don't get me wrong, but advances in paint, aluminum, plastic, etc. technology and the dismissal of chrome by airlines and bicycle manufacturers (due to structural complications from trapped hydrogen) have made chrome less popular. Many young guys are replacing chrome bumpers with fiberglass ones and removing shiny antennae and door trim. Chrome just isn't the god of durability it once was with the advances in paint. Plus, with the gas prices, people want lighter cars, not ones adorned with heavy chrome and its even heavier nickel sublayer. Hence, carbon fiber is the chrome of today and plastic makes up more of each car than anyone would have ever dreamed. Also, while less relevant to most young guys, I for one do not support the chrome industry after researching the negative affects it has on laborers. Chrome dust from buffing and the chemicals used in plating (especially when done the proper way with a nickel sublayer) are extremely dangerous.

With all that being said... I'd take your car ANYDAY. It's well kept, gorgeous, and I don't give a rat's..... if someone thinks its a grandpa's car 'cause you can't judge someone from 2 miles behind them >: D

EDIT: let me also say that 'grandpa' means retired, 50's-60's, kids left home, etc. It does NOT mean cane, walker, bingo parlour etc. Those guys drive Lincoln Grand Marquis's (note this does not mean one is elderly for driving one, although that's likely the case lol)
  8. gus1894

gus1894 Supporting Member

He says Grandpa Car now, but in 5 or 10 years, he will be asking to drive it!

It's what I'd consider "old school", I'm sure I'm not alone in that opinion.

Let's call it the "Hipster Grandpa Ride".
  9. iammr2

iammr2

Definitely not hipster. They wouldn't have a clue about it. Not really a gandpa car either. I'd classify as "Happenin'"
  10. CauliColin

CauliColin

That is a beautiful car. If it drove through where I live, I'd both admire it, and I'd guess how long it would be before it got broken in to (sorry).
    But seriously, that does look old-ish, but it looks good for its age. Really good
  11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Buick = grandpa
  12. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Holy cow! That is exactly something my son would write! You guys should talk, you are of the same mind. Thanks VK =)
  13. carlos840

carlos840

I am 28 and would love to drive/own that car! But then i drive a 76 stingray...

Be happy, he wont want to borrow it and won't crash it!

And FYI, fiberglass sucks! Chrome for the win...
  14. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

That's a grandpa car ... if you have the coolest, most bad-ass grandpa ever.
  15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    1) Removing already-installed chrome pieces and replacing them with new fiberglass or plastic pieces is blatantly anti-ecological. It's one thing to buy new goods that never had chrome on them in the first place, but swapping on new plastic parts to replace chrome (which will go where?) is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard from an eco standpoint.
    2) Young sports-car enthusiasts are not "hipsters". Hipsters try to be cool by looking anti-cool, so they are a completely different crowd from the kids who customize their sports cars. A hipster will ride a bicycle, or drive a beat-up old wagon, or an old diesel BMW converted to run on used frying oil.
  16. mongo2

mongo2

Hip, but a gas guzzler I bet.
  17. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

That car is too hip for hipsters. Swing that bad boy gramps!

Mongo, of course it's a gas guzzler, sheesh. It's not likely it's his daily ride to work. A dude only wants to spend that much dough on fuel if he's havin fun, not trapped in rush hour.
  18. tinman 1967

tinman 1967 Supporting Member

Well,.... your son has a valid point.

After all ...... Its a FORD :bag:
  19. line6man

line6man

Definitely a grandpa car, IMO.
  20. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

big time! But I'm working on that. I installed a 5 speed manual transmission with overdrive a couple months ago and have been experimenting with different rear end gears attempting to maximize MPG while also boosting performance VS the original 3 speed auto. Before the swap I was getting a pretty consistent 11.5 MPG average per tank of premium gas and the goal is to get 16 or better while still being able to make me grin when I mash the gas pedal. Future plans include a more powerful engine and electronic fuel injection.

In spite of the poor MPG numbers, my inner voice tells me my car is very eco friendly due to the fact that the energy required for the manufacturing process and raw materials were all consumed at the time of manufacture 48 years ago. If you figure on getting a new car every three years, that's potential 16 whole cars that haven't been needed to be built because this one is still on the road. I've never been a the kind of guy to buy brand new cars, so that may be a bit of rationalization but in any case, the longevity of service life must be an important factor in the overall environmental impact.