Graphic EQ setting

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MostlyBass, Nov 15, 2012.

1. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Just wanted to get your thoughts and input on graphic eq settings. Here's what I've been using for a while.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353029485.812570.jpg

2. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

If it sounds good and does what you need it to do (cut or sit in the mix), then I can't really say since every bass, pickup, string, amp, cab, and player varies from one to the next. If it works - it works. :D

EQ looks... eh... very bass & treble focused, though.

3. MostlyBass

I'm also trusting my ears (which I do trust) but I also recognize the collective wisdom here on TB. It does seem low and high focused although I have the lowest - 50hz centered and the contour (mid scooping) generally at 7:00 which has the most mids and then I turn that as needed for slap - similar to the VPF on the MarkBass.

I'm running a Carvin Icon5 (18v) -> micro thumpinator -> VT Bass -> sometimes chorus, reverb, delay -> either Carvin BX500 paired with Epifani PS115 or MarkBass JeffBerlin.... Although the BX500 sounds great through the MarkBass cabinet.

Thank you everyone for your time and patience!

4. zortation

zortation Supporting Member

Try setting your graphic flat and mess around with whatever's left...I see a bass and treble and what looks like some para-mid controls...

Graphic EQ is generally used to cut undesirable frequencies, if you're at all concerned about the tone of whatever it is you've plugged into it. The less you EQ your instrument, the better, generally.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Wow - somebody who actually tweaks their EQ
    You are unique

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    +1.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I am too lazy and maybe too stupid!

I won't buy an amp with anything more than bass, treble and mids (maybe high/low). A simple 3-4 band EQ is all I need.

I tend to set it flat and adjust to taste. I generally will boost highs or mids depending on the room.

8. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

No everyone does they just don't discuss it much like how you brush your teeth or make love everyone's got their own way.

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Well you're boosting nearly everything. That's introducing extra gain, and hence, noise. Plus I imagine the EQ probably isn't real smooth with its interaction between bands so you're getting a lot of comb filtering going on.

I'd set the EQ flat and cut those two frequencies you have set to 0 dB. Should give you the same sound, without the noise. You may have to turn up your master volume.

John

10. MostlyBass

Interesting. What about this and using the slightly boosted eq as a boost pedal?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353032595.243783.jpg

11. MostlyBass

I was doing the opposite - setting the graphic and then tweaking the para as needed... but setting the para and tweaking the graphic works well and gives me the option to use it as a boost for parts of songs.

12. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

If you look at the manual, it may show how wide the bands for the parametric EQ are. This is usually used for the coarse adjustments and the graphic is used for find tuning but ideally, you wouldn't make any adjustments without knowing what needs to be changed and I don't mean using your ears to guess. If you find your "ideal" sound (or, close to it) and use an RTA to find out what frequencies are stronger/weaker, you'll be able to replicate is more easily. You can get an app for many smart phones for this and it's a lot easier to dial it in with a visual representation.

13. MostlyBass

I feel overwhelmed with all my options!
    I start with an 18v active Carvin Icon (5 string).
    to a VT pedal into my Carvin BX500. I do sometimes use my MarkBass head which also sounds great but very different.

Options are great but I'm just curious how all of you handle it.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

14. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I set everything in the signal chain to be "flat" (or as close as they can get...) and find out what their EQ centers are. Then I tweak each one thoroughly and individually to learn how each element interacts with the others and the overall tone. For example, I tend to use the graphic EQ on my Bassman 300 Pro as a mild mid boost (+2 dB 500Hz, +3dB 1kHz, +3dB 2kHz) so I cut more through the mix without increasing my overall volume. Why? A lot of trial and error over the course of time. ;) I also have the second channel set as a mild overdrive and sometimes switch that in for a fattening low/low midrange boost that really does the rocking tunes justice. On top of that, I use the active controls on my MIM P Special (40Hz/800Hz/4kHz) to adjust my tone on the fly. On the bass I run it flat 85% of the time but cut some mids, all treble, and boost the low end slightly for country.

Once you get to know your gear (the good and the bad side) it can make on the fly adjustments really easy and allow you to turn your tone upside down in seconds. Just IMO. :)

I think "flat" on the VT is 10:00 on treble and 12:00 on bass and mids btw.