1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Graphite bridge saddles?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by lbridenstine, Feb 25, 2014.

1. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

I was asked to make a 5 string bass for the bassist of a local band and we were thinking about getting this Hipshot bridge in gold: http://www.bestbassgear.com/hipshot-a-style-bass-bridges.htm
    but now he's thinking about graphite saddles on the bridge.

Does anyone have any suggestions on either bridges that come with graphite saddles or maybe switching out the saddles on the Hipshot or another bridge? Do they even make graphite saddles for bass? Are Graph Tech products made of graphite?

Any opinions on graphite vs. brass, aluminum, or steel?

Thanks.
  2. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    The piezo saddles may be made out of graphite ask hipshot
  3. GMC

GMC

I would probably walk away from this customer at that point....anyone which keeps day dreaming about saddle material is going to change their mind constantly and it becomes your problem to provide it. It's clear that he doesn't understand modern lutherie and thinks every thing his choice and his whim. You build basses within the boundaries of your suppliers. If he want's something to brush his curious ego...is he really your kind of customer?
    I think a kind "no...but have you seen this bass bridge from this company...it's really nice and will work well on this style of bass"...might be the best approach here. If he then says "no...I want" then suggest that you're probably not his best fit and let the message fill the air like a pregnant pause. If he back tracks then you have control over your product again. If not, be happy that you have walked away from a nightmare / luthier on a stick situation, which is only going to end in tears (yours).
  4. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

I've only been able to find a 4 string set of graphite saddles so far, so he said we can forget about it and just go with the Hipshot bridge. I guess I posted this thread too soon, I was just curious if anyone knew of any that I haven't been able to find.
  5. Beej

Beej

LOL, GMC - we're all friends here. You can tell us your story, we'll support you... :)
  6. Ironfingers

Ironfingers

I believe that the Graphtech saddles are made from the same material as the Tusq XL nuts. And they only come in Fender style. If the desire for graphite saddles is due to a concern about string binding, you could suggest an ABM or Schaller roller bridge. They are very nice. The ABM is nicer, but of course, more $.
  7. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

That's what I was assuming abou the Tusq nuts, but when I looked it up I couldn't find anything specific saying that it is graphite, it all just says "Engineered from the same material as our highly esteemed TUSQ" but then you go to look at Tusq and it doesn't say what it's made of, haha.

I think someone just told him that graphite would be good or something and so he wanted to see if it was an option. I don't really know.

We'll put a Tusq nut on it and go with the Hipshot bridge with brass saddles.
  8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

If I understand correctly, Tusq is graphite infused plastic. I could be wrong though.
  9. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

They definitely look and feel like plastic.
  10. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Tusq is a mixture of PTFE and graphite
  11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

So teflon and graphite. So thats why they slide so good.
  12. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Yessir.