1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Graphite for bridge?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by byrdzeye, Jan 29, 2014.

1. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Hi, UB'rs,

The G string on my SB88 is "popping" between flat and sharp when I try to tune it, and I'm thinking that it is hanging up a bit on the bridge. What kind of graphite should I be using to make is slide easier, and should I also be putting some on the nut? I am currently using Helicore Lights on it (came with bass). Thanks.

John
  2. john m

john m Supporting Member

Be sure the nut slot is the correct width.

Check for burrs at nut slot and bridge saddle.

Sometimes the popping you hear is the string "settling in" on the tuner peg.
  3. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Thanks, John,

Things seem fine at the tuner peg, but I will check that as well. So this means that I will have to widen the slots on the nut? If I don't like the strings, would I then have to replace the nut to go back to a lighter gauge string?

John
  4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

#2 pencil. The bridge slots need to be wide enough and rounded down on each side so the string doesn't catch. I've never had to change nut or bridge for thinner strings.
  5. john m

john m Supporting Member

Be sure not to file the nut too deep.

I've never needed graphite or lubricant--- owned my first bass-- a Univox, Hiflyer, 42 years ago--- and about 20 basses since then
  6. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

If you really want to go nuts, put a drop of superglue in the slot and sprinkle powdered graphite into the glue before it sets. After the glue cures, apply more graphite onto the glue.
  7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

John, we're talking double bass here...
  8. john m

john m Supporting Member

But I think the mechanical principals and the same laws of physics apply.

Cheers!
  9. JoeyNaeger

JoeyNaeger

Disclosures:
    Repair guy, Lisle Violin Shop
    Try working some oil into your tuning machine as well. 3 in 1 oil works fine. Get it into the bushings that your worm gear rides in and get some between the worm wheel and the surface it's rubbing against.
  10. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

I've never put graphite on my bass guitars because the bridge is fixed, metal, and there's nothing for the string to snag on. On DB, it's wood, not fixed, very tall and strings can catch when tuning up, putting the bridge out of wack. I have also broken a string or two that caught and didn't release. That's the reason to use graphite as a lubricant on a wooden bridge and nut.
  11. john m

john m Supporting Member

I guess I've been lucky or the shops that have set up my DB's have done a good job. My Azola EUB with a wooden bridge has been great for 12 years.
  12. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

My mistake. It wasn't apparent to me that you were a double bassist. Sorry. That being said, the luthiers that have worked on my basses use graphite on the bridge/nut slots.
  13. john m

john m Supporting Member

Just cause I own one, doesn't mean I can play it.

LOL