graphite nut anyone?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by miziomix, Nov 28, 2012.

1. miziomix

miziomix Über on my mind Supporting Member

As anyone made nuts from graphite? I don't mean Tusq or similar. Just the same graphite reinforcement rods are made of. Anyone?

Thank you

Maurizio
  2. john m

john m Supporting Member

I had a Modulus Q6 converted to a Q5 wide and then back to a Q6.

A new graphite nut was cut both times by my setup guy.
    I found the blanks for him on line.
  3. miziomix

Cool. What was the previous one made of? Could you tell the difference? Did you like it? Thank you.
  4. MrArose13

MrArose13 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Luthier:RoseBud basses & Guitars LLC
    I haven't done it, but have thought about it. I always have little pieces left over from neck reinforcement and think, why not? but have not experimented yet, so I like to hear some in put on this too. Good question Maurizio!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

By graphite I assume carbon fiber composite even though You're not from US, right?

Usually the structural CF products use way too dense and hard plastic as the matrix, and the weave is way too thick for carving a nut out of such a piece.

So, while it can be done, and probably has been done as well, the CF nut blanks are made differently.

Regards
    Sam
  7. kvnjcbsn93

kvnjcbsn93

The nut on my bass was made from the reinforcement rods. Its sounds good and is the favorite material to use by the guy who i had make it for my moses neck. It even polishes up nicely to match the black satin finish on the neck.
  8. john m

john m Supporting Member

Yah, what I call "graphite" is probably really carbon fiber.
    But the nuts I had recut for my Q6/Q5 wide looked like the original ones from the factory.

As far as sound--- the nut is "working" on the open strings,
    after that, the string is between the fret and the bridge.
  9. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Actual graphite is really brittle.... I wouldn't trust it as a nut.
  10. miziomix

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Sam, I was actually referring to the material neck reinforcement spars are made of. I believe that's graphite? Have you tried that? BTW, I didn't know one could make nuts out of carbon fiber. Thanks.

That's what I'm talking about - just like MrArose13 I often find myself asking, why not?

When I can't use brass, I usually go with Tusq. I like it. It's easy to work with and it feels sturdy even though it can be shaped with little effort. I suppose it owes those qualities to the fact that it is not pure graphite?

And this is my only concern. OTOH kvnjcbsn93 doesn't seem to have that problem, nor does the guy who made the nut for him. I might just give it a try, since I am currently out of Tusq.

BTW, where do you guys get Corian and Tusq blanks? I get Tusq from SM but there might be better deals out there :D

thank you
  11. oleskool

oleskool

12. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

That's carbon fiber in a plastic matrix, not graphite. In engineering terms anyway.

In US it has become a "standard" to call carbon fiber composites graphite, probably because of a trade name of some sorts in the past. Other than being in the same family of C , they have nothing in common. Pretty much like diamond v.s coal.

I haven't tried it for the reasons I listed, and because most "other" nut materials are plentiful and cheap, not to mention a breeze to work with and easy for the tools.
    In my view it wouldn't offer any advantage over a non-reinforced-plastic as a nut either.

Tusq and other "graphite" nuts OTOH claim to have actual graphite particles in the plastic matrix, making them slippery, and therefore a better nut material than plain plastic.

Regards
    Sam
  13. Bobster

Bobster

My 95 model ATK300 still has it's original graphite nut. I'd say that's endorsement enough.

Bob
  14. miziomix

Sam, thank you for explain this. I get your point. Very helpful. Thanks!

Maurizio
  15. miziomix

Did you notice that SM sells the same product - Black Tusq XL - at 60c less than the manifacturer? And if you buy more than 6 pieces it goes down to $6.60. Puzzling uh?.... oh well, I'll take the discount just the same :D
  16. David Jayne

David Jayne

Big fan of GraphTech nut. Big fan.
  17. kvnjcbsn93

kvnjcbsn93

i know this is an older thread but i thought i would put this up for future references. im practicing making nuts for my new fretless so the spacing my be a bit off.

the picture is a polished graphite nut from a stiffening rod from LMII 1/8" rod vs a non polished cut to size on a bandsaw. the BEAD slots were easy to cut with the Stewmac files but the G and C were a bit harder to do (Using the same file). sanded from 110/15000 grit.

[​IMG]

and the one on my 5 string.
    [​IMG]