1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Graphite Nut ...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Clinks, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Clinks

Clinks

... what is/are the advantage/s? I had the nut on my Squier P-Bass switched from plastic to bone and didn't notice a difference. Am considering swapping the plastic on my Ibanez IF graphite can offer me a good enough reason.

Thanks in advance.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I pretty much only use graphite. Not that there is a giant difference in tone, but the self lubricating aspect of them makes tuning easier.

3. renyzen

renyzen

massive difference in tone? not really sure about that and the nut only affects the open string's tone, but i do agree that graphite nuts are more slippery compared to plastic and bone and thus helps reduce string binding on the nut

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I said that their wasn't a giant difference in tone ;)

I guess I could have worded that a little better.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lo-E

Lo-E

When the original plastic nut on my fretless Ray cracked, I replaced it with graphite. I didn't really notice a difference. Seems to work fine, though.

7. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

+1

8. Clinks

Clinks

Self-lubricating, huh? I like the sound of that. I'll have to do some more research on it.

Thanks again, y'all.

9. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Graphite is the go to when using a trem. Other than that, there is no advantage to using one.

10. renyzen

renyzen

haha lol guess i missed that word :bag: guess i shouldnt be posting at 3am in the morning

11. Clinks

Clinks

BTW, where can I find graphite nuts online for my two Ibanezes (one 4-string, one 5-string)?

12. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Warmoth or Stew-Mac.

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Truthfully? I'm more concerned as to whether the nut material (graphite vs. bone, for example) complements the bass's appearance. Functionally, I don't see much of a difference.

Riis

14. Clinks

Clinks

I just read some technical data on graphite in general. Now I'm curious to see if I can get away with just using graphite lube on the grooves of the nuts (heh, heh: 'nuts').

Anyone have any experience with this?

15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

They're probably helpful when using a drop tuner too. Same concept, other side of the nut.

16. Clinks

Clinks

I just bought some of this stuff …
    1364237376501.jpg

… but before I use on my nut/s, I think I'll test it out on my strap locks first.

17. Clinks

Clinks

Ok, today I went to Lowe's and bought a tube of graphite (lock lube) and applied it to the nuts and bridges of my Ibanezes. I noticed an instant change once I re-tuned me 505 (the higher strings tuned a bit quicker), but ironically, the initial response was just the opposite for my 370F (maybe a little too much?).

Upon closer inspection, I saw that the nut on either bass seemed to be ground a little low (will post pics later, I want to see what happens with the graphite). I REALLY hate plastic nuts!!

18. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Pencil lead is made of graphite. I just rub it in the string grooves; no messy powder or blast of compressed propellant, just a nice controllable application. Pencil works good on sticky metal zippers too. Anywhere you want a little bit of graphite worked into a tight space, pencils are the bomb.

miles'tone likes this.