gravity induced string buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by qcbassman, Jan 12, 2013.

1. qcbassman

qcbassman

Hi all,
    New to the forum and new to bass guitar but having a blast with it! Beginner question maybe. I just had my Squire Jag bass setup and the tech straightened the neck a little and lowered the strings. I played it at the shop afterwards and all was fine. I got home and was sitting leaned back (this is key) while playing and I got awful string buzz at the first fret. Can gravity pulling the neck be that much of an issue? Should I be concerned that there is a problem where the neck is joined to the body? I never had this problem with guitar so I didn't know of this was normal.

Weird... I know. Thanks for the comments/suggestion.
  2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Yup.

Nope.
  3. tabdog

tabdog

A bass neck is usually more susceptible to
    bending with a force applied. The neck is
    longer, but not thicker or wider.

My guess is that you are pulling down with
    the weight of your arm.

I say that because I do this sometimes on
    the couch,

Tabdog
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Yes...this is why a bass should be truss-tweaked, intonated, etc. in its natural playing position. That is unless you have some high-tech jig.

Gravity is a cruel mistress.

Riis
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ddnidd1

ddnidd1

When a bass with low action is in a horizontal position, lying flat with the neck supported you can still get string buzz just from the mass of the bass strings.
  7. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

So... if you play the bass in a more typical not leaning back position... does the buzz go away? If it does... case solved. If it doesn't, you might need to add just a wee bit of relief.